Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

Hi there about your post!! Just wondered if you still have this copy and if indeed it makes any mention of doreen beales as she was my husbands mother and we have very few physical memories to pass on to the boys so i was wondering if you would be willing to sell this particular item please

warmest regards

gail

i have a copy of our clubs dated june9th 1971 price 3p. One of my aunts had kept it as there was a tribute to my late father in it as he had been concert sec at the aeu club.

Here are some of the clubs advertising in it and some of the turns who were appearing there at the time:

Eastwood view wmc patrick mcclusky , pam hough

shiregreen wmc miss x was on twice

midhill wmc steve denton and the mystery train

hillfoot wmc r s jays show

woodhouse west end the heatwave, edith on the organ

ecclesall non pol sir james linacre

pitsmoor,queens rd, la plata,tinsley , burnaby st. Dial house,darnall horti,

burngreave club, philadephian, burngreave libs , darnall aqueduct,limes,foundry workers,grimesthorpe social, the amberley hotel were some of the venues who had turns on.

Duggie brown, doreen beales , turnstyle,the chapman brown show , lynne perrie and the duane marcel four are names who people may well recall who were appearing locally that week.

I was a member of Handsworth Club around 1965. Worked at Orgreave coke ovens with Harry who was "on the door" sometimes. Used to love Sundays for the strippers and if Harry was on I'd go with him to pay the stripper. I used to be scared ****less by them!!! All the old ladies there on a Sunday for the bingo were called pudding burners.

Saw the Grumbleweeds, Marti Caine and others whose names will probably come to me as soon as I hit "enter"!!

Hey Andy, thanks for getting back to me so promptly and yes i would very much appreciate copies of the relevent pages including any covers, it will be lovely surprise for my husband thank you

the address is....

thank you very much again

Gail Beales

I have a copy of Our Clubs dated June9th 1971 price 3p. One of my aunts had kept it as there was a tribute to my late father in it as he had been concert sec at the AEU club.

Here are some of the clubs advertising in it and some of the turns who were appearing there at the time:

Eastwood View WMC Patrick McClusky , Pam Hough

Shiregreen WMC Miss X was on twice

Midhill WMC Steve Denton and the Mystery Train

Hillfoot WMC R S Jays Show

Woodhouse West End The Heatwave, Edith on the organ

Ecclesall Non Pol Sir James Linacre

Pitsmoor,Queens Rd, La Plata,Tinsley , Burnaby St. Dial House,Darnall Horti,

Burngreave Club, Philadephian, Burngreave libs , Darnall Aqueduct,Limes,Foundry Workers,Grimesthorpe social, The Amberley Hotel were some of the venues who had turns on.

Duggie Brown, Doreen Beales , Turnstyle,the Chapman Brown Show , Lynne Perrie and The Duane Marcel Four are names who people may well recall who were appearing locally that week.

Edited by GAIL BEALES

My itinery around 68/69

Monday Night-Southey or Pitsmoor WMC

Tuesday Night- Hillfoot, (Our Clubs arrived from printers on nearby Burton Street) Start planning for following week

Wednesday Night- Tap Room Five Arches

Thursday Night- Southey again

Friday Night-Wadsley Bridge WMC Snooker and either watch turn or pub crawl White Horse, New Inn, Railway,Travellers, Gate, bus to Magnet for last orders. (and change from a pound note)

Saturday Night- Big night out Dial House or one of the City Road Clubs

Sunday Night- Carlton Social Gleadless Had to spend some time with girlfriend and her family

back to Monday again

Dont tell us you were able to do that with 30 bob a week wages in the foundry.

What has been very sad is the decline in the WMC circuit, I won't play WMCs anymore because of the agencies who've played a big part in ruining the scene.

When I worked for the agents if you were a Sheffield act you were sent out of town (Leeds, Bradford, Halifax etc) with out of town acts brought into Sheffield, the reason behind this was to bump up the fees the only winners being the agents.

We approached concerts secs many times about booking direct but were usualy turned down because many concert secs received backhanders from the agents (I have been present when these transactions took place) for work in their club.

The agents we worked for in Leeds etc had no idea who or what we were, you were straight swapped for their act.

We would have worked for less fees had we been booked direct with the concert secs doing their job as the late Geoff Clayton did at Walkely WMC, he may have used agents but he also reserved the right to book his own acts direct.

hi andy & brian am relatively new to forum but was also a member of grimesthorpe club till it closed as a boy would go in with my dad also my grandad & uncle together raced piegeons few names you might remember colin burgin ken eades fishermen friends of my dad i went to idsworth from club now a life member bit of news for you sadly doreen stewardess retired three weeks ago had a do for her upstairs good night .quite a few grimey lads still come in idsworth not a bad night on saturdays not many cheaper nights around these days

• 6 months later...
I remember going on kids trips to Blackpool and Skeg,with my mates mom, that were arranged by the Arundel and The Park & Arbourthorne.. happy days. I don't think Blackpool or Skeg knew what had hit them. Anyone else used to go on them in the early-mid 70s.

Does anybody remember who the last steward and stewadess were at the dial house?

Does anyone remember a group that did wmc circuit in the late sixties early seventies called penny's profile my ex husband used play the organ and guitar in the group they did the clubs with Marti Caine, bobby Knutt, &Duggie Brown

I remember this group very well. knew the family, they were neighbours.

• 1 month later...