Working Men's Clubs in Sheffield

• 1 year later...
I'm sure Ronnie Dukes and Ricki Lee have been mentioned before, they were a super act, big on the WMC circuit in the 50's and early 60's. It's my understanding that Ronnie is no longer with us. I don't know if anybody remembers the little story that accompanied them at that time. Heres the story, Burt Lancaster the late great American film actor, ( he was supposed to have come out of the Circus originally) he had a great physique and was a very physical actor. He had a sidekick (forgotten the name) who was an acrobat also and played with Burt in all his early movies (at Burts request.) This guy (Burts Buddy) met up with Ronnie Dukes and Ricki Lee at some point (don't know where or when) and wanted to take them back to the States where he thought they could do very well for themselves and become stars. Now I am pretty sure that never happened or anything like it, as British television was in it's infancy at that time i'm wondering if anybody remembers them doing anything else other than the 'Clubs' or if the 'story' has any merit whatsoever?

Hi Fleetwood, bit of a late reply!

Burt Lancaster's mate was Nick Cravat and he was best man at Ronnie and Ricki's wedding. He can be seen

on This is Your Life.

For a flavour of the Dukes and Lee act have a look at THIS. Ronnie is a bundle of energy and what a great singer Ricki was.

Hi Fleetwood, bit of a late reply!

Burt Lancaster's mate was Nick Cravat and he was best man at Ronnie and Ricki's wedding. He can be seen

on This is Your Life.

For a flavour of the Dukes and Lee act have a look at THIS. Ronnie is a bundle of energy and what a great singer Ricki was.

Thanks Jim Hardie - for putting the images up there and the added information on Ronnie Dukes and Rickie Lee. 'Bit of a late reply!' is right I posted that approx 6yrs ago but glad you found it interesting enough to warrant a second go round. Also if 'handypandy' is looking and listening thanks for your posting back when and that you will get added interest on the current status of the said subject matter.

I remember he loco club founded by railway engine drivers, who fancied a couple of pint's my old fella used to take m there on a sunday lunch that's where I had m first taste of beer and thought how can anyone drink this stuff it was to a small boy of nine as for the turn it was a singer with no PA he music ws played by the resident piano player an drummer who's kit was a bass drum, snare drum, and one cymbal dad would have 2 pints play bingo the off home, as for the wincobank club my uncle who worked at Arthur leesll his life they used to make crank shafts for trucks ships, tanks what ever the MOD wanted. but since the en of the 80's the clubs stated their decline, first clubs made was doing away with resident bands and only booked acts with there own equipment price of beer kept rising the brewery's stopped loaning clubs money o keep them open he rents and utilities were going up , people tastes changed and when teso's sainsbury's asda nd all the others dropped their prices of beer win and spirits as the final nail in the coffin so one by one they started to close when clubs like the dial house closed, also all the steel firms closed, and other places of employment men out of work had to pull their belts in shame

I remember hillfoot WMC. we used to go on daytrips to cleethorpes as my father was a member. i also remember a few club turns from the late 60s. frankenstein and the munsters (Ray Stuart) who has since died. the daisies. johnnie calendar group, the O'haras playboys, the new formula. frank White Band, and many more. I also used to go to the black swan to see club acts when Terry Steeples had it and before that in 1968 to the canon hall and the warncliffe at firth park

I was born and lived on Hobson Ave .When I reached 18 in 1958 my dad took me to join Hillfoot club .in those days you could only join if your dad was a member.I had to face commitee who had known me all my life .The doorman was Bill Platton who only had one arm, if You turned up without your book he wouldent,let you in. The concert chair man was Tony Oldham an ex club turn if the the turn was crap he rang his bell and sent them packing without pay.we always went to Cleethorps ont,trip chips and fish at the railway cafe then off to wonderland on our own back to charra at 4 appy days

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 10:45 ----------

Sadly with all the surrounding housing disappearing so did the club.

the Hillfoot club building is still there and what used to be weir head garage is now a sex shop Oh dear

Thinking about the decline of W.M.C's and the Kids trips to the seaside that most of the clubs used to run , I thought that I would like to mention that my local club ( Sheffield Lane ) still run a kids trip to Skeggy once a year. This year we had six coaches that went and all the kids got £20 each. Not as busy as the Arundel ex service mens club I believe, but still pretty good in this day and age. I was told a few day days ago that the New Lodge W.M.C. in Barnsley recently had their annual kids trip to the coast and there was an amazing 28 coaches. Each kid receiving £45 each. I don't know if this is 100% correct but I was told by a reliable source.

By just reading this thread brought back loads of memories. The right of passage was when I was eighteen and my dad took me down to the Attercliffe Rads on Roundel Street off bottom of Staniforth Road, to stand in front of the committee to be vetted, interviewed and if deemed suitable, allowed to become a member. I remember one shilling and eightpence for a pint of stones and a shilling for a packet of Billian crackers with a triangle of cheese from the man who came in with a large basket. Such memories....

Dont know if anyone can shed any light on this but i saw a brill band at intake sports club in 90s they were called hitchcock railway and the kid i was told the lead singer was bobby balls son can enyone confirm this

Bobby's son Darren was with the band. He now has a comedy double act with his brother Robert, called The Harper Brothers (their real surname).