Potholes and road tax

they say on todays news theres over 2.2 million potholes on our roads, we pay around £220 a year in road tax on our cars, only around £2 of this is spent on road repairs,we pay £1000 a year in council tax £50 is towards council road repairs!!!! How do they work this out arent we paying twice????, rip off britain again!!!

Guest sibon
they say on todays news theres over 2.2 million potholes on our roads, we pay around £220 a year in road tax on our cars, only around £2 of this is spent on road repairs,we pay £1000 a year in council tax £50 is towards council road repairs!!!! How do they work this out arent we paying twice????, rip off britain again!!!

I don't pay any road tax. Nor does anyone else. Nor do we have a hypothecated tax system.

Other than that, your argument is stacking up pretty well:)

I don't pay any road tax. Nor does anyone else. Nor do we have a hypothecated tax system.

Other than that, your argument is stacking up pretty well:)

Sadly, it doesn't.

The tax paid, is not known as 'road' tax; that was abolished over 70 years ago (back in the late 30s).

From Wiki :

Since 1937 there has been no direct relationship between the tax and government expenditure on public roads..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax#United_Kingdom

The correct term is Vehicle Excise Duty.

(that's how the Government screws you)

Believe me, you don't want to go down the "Motorists are over-taxed" route! A cursory glance at the cost of motoring reveals just how subsidised private motoring is.

You could direct your ire to foreign HGV drivers, who pay bugger all in taxes in the UK despite the damage the inflict on the infra structure.

Believe me, you don't want to go down the "Motorists are over-taxed" route! A cursory glance at the cost of motoring reveals just how subsidised private motoring is.

You could direct your ire to foreign HGV drivers, who pay bugger all in taxes in the UK despite the damage the inflict on the infra structure.

i could agree with you but that would make us both wrong.

copying and pasting from anti-car websites is proof of only one thing, you are gullible.

copying and pasting from anti-car websites is proof of only one thing, you are gullible.

That's spindrifts speciality, googling answers and copy pasting them!

Must be a fun life

Ok, got the entire fiscal contribution of motorists?

Good, now the total costs of damage to property, to health, to the environment, to people.

Which is the larger figure?

Ok, got the entire fiscal contribution of motorists?

Good, now the total costs of damage to property, to health, to the environment, to people.

Which is the larger figure?

Are we including private motorists who use their car as a form of transport to work in this figure?

Are we including private motorists who use their car as a form of transport to work in this figure?

Naturally.

Clearly the economic and social benefits of motoring are significantly mitigated if not outweighed by the disbenefits.

http://www.jake-v.co.uk/content/54.php

It is true that in total motorists pay more than VED alone: revenue from fuel duty in 2004/05 was £23bn (Table 7.15 in DfT 2006, 129).

So does this mean that drivers pay a fair price after all?

If we take into account these additional taxes on motorists, we must also take into account the wider cost of motor vehicles to the economy as a whole.

The economic cost of road accidents, for example, was estimated in 2004 to be some £18bn per year (DfT 2004, 5) and the cost to the British economy of road traffic congestion was estimated to be £20bn, rising to £30bn by 2010 (Goodwin 2004, 2).

In this light, and without even factoring in the less easily established costs of damage to wildlife, noise pollution, contribution to climate change, and end-of-life disposal of motor vehicles, it is already clear that motorists do not currently pay anything like the full cost of motoring.

Drivers who advance the argument that cyclists and horse riders should pay road tax risk shooting themselves in the foot:

if all road users paid in proportion to the full cost of their chosen method of transport then cars and lorries would be considerably more expensive than is currently the case, and bicycles might even be subsidised.

Archived