Should Cannabis be legalised in Britain?

Should it be legalised and regulated by the government?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be legalised and regulated by the government?

• Strongly agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral
    • Disagree
    • Strongly disagree

I lived and worked in amsterdam for two years in the late 70"s and from what I saw i would'nt legalize it .the problem I found is that it dos'nt stop at cannabis .we'd go to a bar you get offered grass and hash then coke ,speed , smack ,acid ,mushrooms,peyote all kinds of drugs.I don't know how they collect imformation on pot smokers ,but the ones I new did'nt stop at pot.plus the peer pressure among young people is another factor .think its simplistic to belive legalizeing something makes it "uncool".. .I've had friends with serious emotional problems just get worse smoking that **** .

Cannabis isn't legal in Amsterdam.

There are street dealers who will offer you all sorts of things, experienced Amsterdam visitors just ignore them.

Why will liberalising cannabis mean less acquisitive crimes? If cannabis was legalised and sold in shops why would the type of people that steal to get money to pay for cannabis now suddenly get jobs and pay for cannabis out of their wages if it was legal.

Because people dont 'steal' money to get Cannabis, because cannabis isnt psycholigcally addictive, unlike say Heroine which people do steal for.

Because people dont 'steal' money to get Cannabis, because cannabis isnt psycholigcally addictive, unlike say Heroine which people do steal for.

They experimented with prescribed heroin in Liverpool. Acquisitive crime fell sharply.

With cannabis, a million people spending £35 a week is a lot of tax revenue being lost!

They experimented with prescribed heroin in Liverpool. Acquisitive crime fell sharply.

With cannabis, a million people spending £35 a week is a lot of tax revenue being lost!

I know, I dont get this either, is it on moral / ethical grounds that the govt. wont legalise cannabis? because they could make a s@it load of money in taxes otherwise.

Behind the Royal Palace off Dam Square there's a place in a narrow street opposite a lovely 2nd hand book shop. Quick browse for a book, some White Widow and a cup of peppermint tea, heaven!

Sounds great! I have yet to visit Amsterdam, been considering it for a while and may make the effort this summer, if I can get a free weekend off work.

I think also its a complex drug ,If you how to use it and not let it use you .you can sometimes do something with it creatively, but that comes with life experiances ,something most kids, teenages , chavs don't have...

100% Agree with this, I really abused smoke when I was in my teens, just made me lazy lol

As I've got older, I'm into my graphic design, flash, website building and music production, it always helped me to be very creative when working on a project. I really miss sitting at the computer with a nice coffee and a joint and getting wrapped up in something creative. There's a wonder I don't need glasses now from them days where I would sit there for hours!

As someone pointed out earlier, it can be a bad thing when doing certain dangerous jobs, like driving a crane! lol

I know, I dont get this either, is it on moral / ethical grounds that the govt. wont legalise cannabis? because they could make a s@it load of money in taxes otherwise.

I read on wikipedia that it was banned back in 1924 or something like that! I would imagine there has been substantial research since then, but nothing changes. :loopy:

The other thing what some people dont realise is you can recreate the effects of many illeagal drugs by just changing the genetics (plant) or chemical composition of the drug (legal highs).

I could get something on the highstreet today, just like e for instance and take it legally.

Science moves a lot faster than law, so really I dont see the point in criminalising any drug.

Archived