"Trendy" illiteracy, where will it all end, and what are its consequences ?

I was in Ponds Forge today and saw a "banner display" for a forthcoming swimming gala, which, to be disarmingly frank, I found shocking, absolutely shocking.

Why ?

Well, on an "official" publication there wasn`t a single capital letter.

Everything was lower case including the word 'derbyshire' (sic).

I find the whole thing very sad, not just because any organisation, or person, trying to be trendy or cool looks absolutely pathetic, but also that illiteracy is actually being encouraged.

I tell you many of the E mails we get sent via our website are almost impossible to understand. Some have no capital letters, no apostrophes, no commas, and some even miss out most of the full stops ! I actually have to go through the worst of them adding all the missing punctuation just to decipher what the person is asking.

Where will it all end ? And surely organisations, and people generally, who do actually know how to write correctly, should do so......

If a job requires a written application and one (or more) of the applicants can't compose a legible, grammatical, properly-spelled application, do you think that has any effect on the person reading binning it?

Have you ever had a look at the job vacancies in the Job Centre? The spelling on those is very poor and I suspect they have been composed on computers with spell checkers.:huh:

Then there are the lemons saying "he would of got there on time".

I have arguments about this with friends who being relativists say there is no problem as long as everyone understands each other. Yes we do, for now but it slows down interpretation.

There is a shop in Tottenham that's been there for years called 'every bodies music'. I wondered if the owner realised that he had effectively set up a shop for funeral parlour music.

'I have a new spell chequer, It came with my pea sea ...'

Don't blame the computer. The job vacancy was almost certainly typed by somebody who was really lucky to get a job in the Job Centre (not the best paid job in the world.)

We can all make mistakes. I rarely make a spelling mistake, but I rarely type a sentence without a typo.

Unless it's an important document. (In which case - when I was working - I got my secretary to type it :hihi:)

Last week I posted on this forum a missive which described the practices followed by a company which did the recruiting for a number of other companies.

Poor spelling - bin it.

Poor grammar - bin it.

Poor syntax - bin it.

The jobs offered weren't £20k a year jobs, they were well-paid executive positions and the number of applicants who couldn't string 5 words together to make a sentence is appalling.

You may well hear - from trendy educators - that 'grammer syntacks and speling are irrererelevant, beecos langwidge is consterntly evollving.'

Maybe that's so - But I wouldn't count on it ... unless, of course, they are the people doing the hiring.

I tell people that the better you spell and the better you sound when speaking the more respect you get. Some get angry claiming it's unfair. I point out that life's contract says nothing about fairness and it's simply a rule.

Spelling, grammar and punctuation undoubtedly do change over time. Shakespeare's original writings contain vastly different spellings to modern dictionaries, and as for Chaucer, it's all but unreadable unless you've studied the language of the period.

The last major sea-change in spellings took place a long time ago, but we may not be in the birth pangs of another one, since the rise of the Internet and text-messaging has produced a sub-language all of its own.

People that get all hot and bothered about this subject need to watch the world news more. Seriously. There are much worse things happening around the world than bad grammar.

Yes. If someone is submitting a job application or some other form of official then they should put every effort in to get everything right but a banner or poster. It's hardly the end of the world is it.

For example. This forum makes me laugh. Someone has a problem with grammar on here and it's not long before the grammar police jump in. I think grammar police on an open forum are a little sad :roll:

Archived