"Trendy" illiteracy, where will it all end, and what are its consequences ?

People that get all hot and bothered about this subject need to watch the world news more. Seriously. There are much worse things happening around the world than bad grammar.

Yes. If someone is submitting a job application or some other form of official then they should put every effort in to get everything right but a banner or poster. It's hardly the end of the world is it.

For example. This forum makes me laugh. Someone has a problem with grammar on here and it's not long before the grammar police jump in. I think grammar police on an open forum are a little sad :roll:

the teletext on the news is an utter scream :hihi: and people on here just don't appreciate how hilarious their misuse of words makes their posts :hihi: They don't half get stroppy if you try to share the joke though

RIP Ronnie Barker :shakes:

I was in Ponds Forge today and saw a "banner display" for a forthcoming swimming gala, which, to be disarmingly frank, I found shocking, absolutely shocking.

Why ?

Well, on an "official" publication there wasn`t a single capital letter.

Everything was lower case including the word 'derbyshire' (sic).

I find the whole thing very sad, not just because any organisation, or person, trying to be trendy or cool looks absolutely pathetic, but also that illiteracy is actually being encouraged.

I tell you many of the E mails we get sent via our website are almost impossible to understand. Some have no capital letters, no apostrophes, no commas, and some even miss out most of the full stops ! I actually have to go through the worst of them adding all the missing punctuation just to decipher what the person is asking.

Where will it all end ? And surely organisations, and people generally, who do actually know how to write correctly, should do so......

Have you ever kissed a girl? :hihi:

Have you ever kissed a girl? :hihi:

If you define girl as a female under 16, then not for a long long time, I`m pleased to say. These days I`m married and therefore would not be interested in doing anything with any other woman. Maybe that`s thought of as insufficiently permissive these days ? Not for me........

If you`re implying I can`t have a laugh, I think I can.

Yes. If someone is submitting a job application or some other form of official then they should put every effort in to get everything right but a banner or poster. It's hardly the end of the world is it.

It is if your banner reads "its the end off the werld". :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve recently had to select a canditate for a job we advertised, and there`s another interesting sidelight to all this trendy educational crap.

I`m told that people are taught that handwriting is old hat, it`s all done on a PC now, and what`s more a letter done on a word processor looks better and has more impact then a hand written one.

Well that`s so much tosh.

Speaking as the potential employer, I`d rather see a hand written letter, because it proves :

The person can write legibly (assuming it is actually legible ! ).

The person can spell (assuming they can spell etc), as opposed to using a spell checker, or sending a CV/covering letter written by someone else.

The person can be arsed to put some effort in, how much effort does clicking "Print" take ?

I find people who don't know the difference between a grave accent and an apostrophe (or who choose to ignore the difference because they prefer how it looks) while complaining about grammar amusing.

I find people who don't know the difference between a grave accent and an apostrophe (or who choose to ignore the difference because they prefer how it looks) while complaining about grammar amusing.

Quite ! :hihi:

Glass houses, stones etc. If it's wrong it's wrong. It doesn't matter how it looks, unless it's design. Oh, the irony. That is unless the OP is a troll. :suspect:

Archived