What do you not understand about other cultures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaimani View Post

i hoped we'd get a variety, Mel, but with no bashing. like the examples i gave earlier.

the arranged marriage thing, i think, is more about culture than religion.

what do you not understand about other cultures? like i said, 'culture' is used very loosely for the purpose of discourse.

oh come on we ALL know the real reasons why they put it, they dont have to say the religion, and going on the rest of the annonymous bits and pieces, again it all points to ONE culture / religion

The only person I know that lost her family because she refused to marry her cousin from India was a Sikh. So if you are referring to me then you are jumping in with both feet making unfounded accusations based on your own prejudice.

The only person I know that lost her family because she refused to marry her cousin from India was a Sikh. So if you are referring to me then you are jumping in with both feet making unfounded accusations based on your own prejudice.

no jumping to conclusions at all, A. in my case it was a general comment on how things usually turn out on the forum. i come from a tribe that did have arranged marriages but they died out with the generation before my parents. and they didn't work like 'Asian' arranged marriages in many ways. and, like i said, it's mostly cultural rather than religious.

no jumping to conclusions at all, A. in my case it was a general comment on how things usually turn out on the forum. i come from a tribe that did have arranged marriages but they died out with the generation before my parents. and they didn't work like 'Asian' arranged marriages in many ways. and, like i said, it's mostly cultural rather than religious.

I wasn’t accusing you of jumping to conclusions; it was melthebell that jumped to the wrong conclusion. I didn’t have a problem with your OP and was happy to contribute, but as usual when entering into a debate about other cultures or religions you are accused of being racist.

I wasn’t accusing you of jumping to conclusions; it was melthebell that jumped to the wrong conclusion. I didn’t have a problem with your OP and was happy to contribute, but as usual when entering into a debate about other cultures or religions you are accused of being racist.

i apologize- for Mel, and for the misunderstanding. let's carry on with the discussion as it's the only way to learn.

you're English born and bred, yes?

I don't understand a culture that looks at the activity of a few people from an alien culture and then ascribes that behaviour to the other 1.5 billion adherents to that alien culture.

Many cultures are guilty of this, in my experience. I've copped a load of flak, for example, from the French for being English for reasons ranging from football hooliganism to the Iraq invasion. It seems to be pretty much universal.:(

I don’t understand why a family can disown their daughter because she refuses to marry someone she does not like or love.

I know why they want to force her to marry a person she has never met but I don’t agree with it or understand why they would think more about themselves or their community than their daughter.

There's a lot that I don't understand about how anyone could mistreat or shun/disown a child. I don't understand how certain classes of people can pack their kids off to boarding school.

in light of the rise of the right, the 'immigrant problem', the 'Muslim issue' etc and the fact that they say we fear most that which we do not understand i was wondering=what is it about other cultures that you do not understand?

by culture i mean everything from other races, religions, classes etc.

I'll go first.

i have been here half my life(I'm 31) yet still don't understand the 'western' obsession with individual rights over the good of the group.

i don't understand the idea of kids being able and encouraged to talk back etc to their parents.

there are other thing i don't get but don't want the post to be too long.

what do you not understand about other cultures?

I do not understand why some African Tribes put rings in the earlobes to make a big loop out of the ear lobe.

Archived