What do you not understand about other cultures?

I don't. Would you explain it to me. I don't understand why an intelligent woman would agree to marry someone shes never met at the say so of her family. The whole concept of that seems alien to me.

It's alien to me too, however it's not that long ago that here middle and upper class people (women especially) did not marry for romantic love.

Never mind other cultures theres plenty I don't understand about our culture. Why is idiocy celebrated in our culture? How can programmes like "The Only Way Is Essex" be so popular? Why is stupidity lauded? How come living on benefits is now a lifestyle choice and a viable career? All these things and more confuse me.

Many cultures are guilty of this, in my experience. I've copped a load of flak, for example, from the French for being English for reasons ranging from football hooliganism to the Iraq invasion. It seems to be pretty much universal.:(

There's a lot that I don't understand about how anyone could mistreat or shun/disown a child. I don't understand how certain classes of people can pack their kids off to boarding school.

Many cultures are guilty of this, in my experience.

i think it's healthy in the right doses and situations otherwise you end up in a situation where you accept too much and end up a confused mess of too many, often conflicting things.

i was in boarding school from when i was eight till i was sixteen, then came here when i was seventeen. I'm the first of six and my dad was locked up when i was seven, so, i suppose it made sense.

the disowning thing i don't get. but there are horror stories of 'bad seeds' that sometimes you say it was the right thing to do. but 'shunning' in the pop-culture sense i don't get.

Many cultures are guilty of this, in my experience.

i think it's healthy in the right doses and situations otherwise you end up in a situation where you accept too much and end up a confused mess of too many, often conflicting things.

i was in boarding school from when i was eight till i was sixteen, then came here when i was seventeen. I'm the first of six and my dad was locked up when i was seven, so, i suppose it made sense.

the disowning thing i don't get. but there are horror stories of 'bad seeds' that sometimes you say it was the right thing to do. but 'shunning' in the pop-culture sense i don't get.

Kaimani, just out of curiosity are you a rasta? I've often wondered based on your sig

I do not understand why some African Tribes put rings in the earlobes to make a big loop out of the ear lobe.

from what i know it's for everything from place in the tribe, the family, the clan etc all the way to marriage status etc. sort of the same with hats and things here back in the day.

i don't really understand it either but i like it. i kind of wish mine did

Never mind other cultures theres plenty I don't understand about our culture. Why is idiocy celebrated in our culture? How can programmes like "The Only Way Is Essex" be so popular? Why is stupidity lauded? How come living on benefits is now a lifestyle choice and a viable career? All these things and more confuse me.

Absolutely, which is kind of the point that I trying to make. Reality TV, I will never, ever get it. Or the celeb culture.

Archived