What do you not understand about other cultures?

why an intelligent woman would agree to marry someone shes never met at the say so of her family.

Who say they never meet?

Some other cultures are completely bonkers.

Indeed.

But, if I'm honest, I don't really care. So long as they leave the most deranged/dangerous parts at customs if they come here.

same. i'm sure he'll come to explain it.

Yes, I'm sure she will:hihi:.

Nor one in which I, as a woman, did not have the same rights, entitlements and choices as my male counterparts.

Ah, so you're not in the UK then?;)

men have always been held to ransom by our brains and pride.

I've never heard it called that before.

what their ancestors would be telling them!

They've been collectively shouting at them for the last 3,00 years "take then daft rings out", so they obviously work.

just loved your answer was all. sounded politicianee.

I thought the reply was better;).

Who say they never meet?
Sometimes you hear of arranged marriages where the marriage is arranged between the families and the couple don't meet until very near the wedding. I admit that this probably isn't usual. To be honest I don't know, maybe it is. Do you know?

Sometimes you hear of arranged marriages where the marriage is arranged between the families and the couple don't meet until very near the wedding. I admit that this probably isn't usual. To be honest I don't know, maybe it is. Do you know?

true, you hear that all the time. that was part of the reason i began the thread. we hear so much and base our ideas on that 'understanding' gained from biased sources sometimes. hopefully we get a few answers.

Back in the late eighties an Asian friend of mine was to be married to someone that his parents had arranged for him. He did a runner and no-one saw him for two years.:(

Do you know?

Not really (I only really - almost, well, sometimes - understand "English culture").

I do have a few friends from other cultures though, some of which "encourage" arranged marriages (all had met their bride previously). I also have friends from another culture (though same religion) that don't agree with arranged marriages.

Not really (I only really - almost, well, sometimes - understand "English culture").

I do have a few friends from other cultures though, some of which "encourage" arranged marriages (all had met their bride previously). I also have friends from another culture (though same religion) that don't agree with arranged marriages.

My clubbing days are way behind me now so I'm not sure if things are still the same, but back in the day the Asian girls that where earmarked for marriage really used to let their hair down if you know what I mean!;)

A friend of mine managed to get out of her arranged marriage(s), she was engaged several times to cousins in Pakistan, and eventually married a white English guy who converted. Her biggest regret is not having gone to university as she was expected to marry, by arrangement, when she left school.

A friend of mine managed to get out of her arranged marriage(s), she was engaged several times to cousins in Pakistan, and eventually married a white English guy who converted. Her biggest regret is not having gone to university as she was expected to marry, by arrangement, when she left school.

But those pressures apply to girls from many backgrounds, it certainly doesnt make it right but there are probably as many working class girls from all cultures who are deterred from becoming educated as there are from Pakistani ones and by the same token Pakistani girls from middle class groups in this country probably have a higher expectation of a professional qualification than black and white girls from similar backgrounds.

Belated birthday wishes btw Suffy, long time no see :)

i have been here half my life(I'm 31) yet still don't understand the 'western' obsession with individual rights over the good of the group.

i don't understand the idea of kids being able and encouraged to talk back etc to their parents.

I'll go with the Asian culture of respect any day of the week.

People in the UK seem to have forgotten what respect and responsibility are about.

That's why the UK is rife with crime, crap and drug puddled cretins.

Archived