The mentality of problem benefit claimants

Let me get this right - are you saying this proposal is going to mean a cut to the equivalent of £26,000 a year in benefits.

Is that correct?

If so, why are people complaining

Yes. It may not affect people too badly in sheffield where rents are low or for people with small families but for people where rents are higher it will cause carnage.

But I heard a rumour the other day that it may not include Council tax now so it looks as though they are beginning to go soft.
Thats because another part of the white paper proposes to do away with council tax benefit entirely. Still think they're going soft?

Yes. It may not affect people too badly in sheffield where rents are low or for people with small families but for people where rents are higher it will cause carnage.

They will have to find something cheaper like working people do when they can't afford something.

They intend to cap the benefits paid to a household to a maximum of £500 per week. This is all benefits combined covering every member of the family. But I heard a rumour the other day that it may not include Council tax now so it looks as though they are beginning to go soft. LHA is definitely going to be reduced but that will only effect those who claim the maximum LHA. Some rents are lower than the old maximum so will not be effected.

So what will they do for people who work for the minimum wage, 35 hours a week and have a household maximum of £207.55 a week, less tax which leaves around £180 a week?

Are people seriously saying that £500 is unreasonable?

Realistically, the maximum amount should be £100 a week as that figure I highlighted is an absolute insult to anyone who gets out of bed and works for a living.

Are we happy to insult the shelf stackers, warehouse workers etc....in our society, to keep the idle in luxury?

I should flipping hope so.

That is an absolute dosgrace - £500 a week to sit on your backside? what sort of society tolerates that?

Has this been going off under New Labour for the last few years?

They will have to find something cheaper like working people do when they can't afford something.
You are right but what it will actually do is create ghetto's and more defined areas of poverty than we have now.

Theres also a theory that the rental market drives house prices. So as the rental market drops, which it will because housing benefit is dropping as of tomorrow, house prices will follow in the next two to three years. So home owners shouldn't feel too smug either.

You are right but what it will actually do is create ghetto's and more defined areas of poverty than we have now.

Theres also a theory that the rental market drives house prices. So as the rental market drops, which it will because housing benefit is dropping as of tomorrow, house prices will follow in the next two to three years. So home owners shouldn't feel too smug either.

I live on less than £500 a week and I don’t live in a getto, and wants wrong with house prices falling to a level that young people can afford.

I suppose you would complain if petrol fell in price or cars, beans and other every day essentials.

And before you ask, yes I own my house and it would make no difference to me if it fell in price by 50% or more I would still own it and live in it.

I live on less than £500 a week and I don’t live in a getto, and wants wrong with house prices falling to a level that young people can afford.

I suppose you would complain if petrol fell in price or cars, beans and other every day essentials.

And before you ask, yes I own my house and it would make no difference to me if it fell in price by 50% or more I would still own it and live in it.

Theres nothing wrong with that. I live on less than £500 per week. But then again i'm not in a position where I live in part of the country where I need to live on more than £500 per week. If I were I would be a lot more concerned than I am right now.

This isn't just about feckless, lazy, tabloid fodder families spitting kids out they can't afford and sucking off the public teat. This is about people who have found themselves on hard times and need a hand, possibly the disabled and the elderly who because of geography are going to be forced to move to cheaper parts of the country leaving the life they've always known behind. Maybe they'll move to sheffield.

I would also love it if the price of petrol fell. I think that its utterly unfair that duty on petrol is subject to VAT. The tax on the commodity is taxed. Seems ridiculous to me.

T

This isn't just about feckless, lazy, tabloid fodder families spitting kids out they can't afford and sucking off the public teat. This is about people who have found themselves on hard times and need a hand, possibly the disabled and the elderly who because of geography are going to be forced to move to cheaper parts of the country leaving the life they've always known behind. Maybe they'll move to sheffield.

If it’s good enough for workers to move to find a job its good enough for the unemployed to move to areas they can afford. I get fed up of hearing about the ridiculous amounts of money we pay so someone can live for free in posh parts of London.

I would also love it if the price of petrol fell. I think that its utterly unfair that duty on petrol is subject to VAT. The tax on the commodity is taxed. Seems ridiculous to me.

If you need petrol and you want it to fall in price why don't you want house prices to fall which is also something every one needs.

Archived