AV Referendum - how will you vote?

How will you vote in the AV referendum?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote in the AV referendum?

• Yes - Change to AV
    • No - Stick with 'First Past the Post'
    • Don't know/Won't vote

I don't understand why people who want to kick Clegg (particularly in the Hallam area...) would want to vote against a system which makes it easier to get rid of vastly unpopular MPs?

Say at the next general election in Sheffield Hallam Clegg gets 39%, Labour candidate gets 37%, tory gets 10% and the rest is split up amongst other parties - under the current system Clegg gets in and that's the end of the story. Under AV it's likely that Clegg isn't picking up many votes as anyone's second choice as he lacks support from the people in general. Labour pick up more second and third choice votes and Clegg is out on his ass.

FPTP = a system where in most cases (i.e. every case where an MP doesn't gain 50% support), most people's votes count for absolutely nothing.

AV = a system where some people's votes may still count for nothing, however an MP has to achieve a broader consensus, therefore the result of an election is more representative of the democratic will of the electorate.

Rubbish. Under AV, a candiate who gets 49% of first preferences could lose to a candidate who only got 20% of first preferences!! Would that reflect the will of the electorate? Really?

The major flaw with AV is that second preferences of a minority of voters are afforded the same weight as first preferences of the majority of voters. Voters would rarely support their second preference choice. Their second preference will generally be the least objectionable of the rest. All this 'broader consensus' stuff is bull.

AV is demonstrably unfair and unpredictable. I'll take FPTP over it any day.

It will be a bigger blow to Cameron if AV comes in. Surely a blow against Cameron is more important?

Thats something I've been considering myself. Would I rather give Cameron or Clegg a bloody nose?

On reflection it would be Cameron. Clegg is just stupid, and like an XCraptor contestant just wants fame at any price.

Camaron, however, is different. He is a very evil and dangerous man. His extreme right wing agenda is doing untold damage to this country. Damage that will take years to repair.

Thats something I've been considering myself. Would I rather give Cameron or Clegg a bloody nose?

On reflection it would be Cameron. Clegg is just stupid, and like an XCraptor contestant just wants fame at any price.

Camaron, however, is different. He is a very evil and dangerous man. His extreme right wing agenda is doing untold damage to this country. Damage that will take years to repair.

How about voting for the system you think will be best for the country? It will be around for much longer than either Cameron or Clegg.

How about voting for the system you think will be best for the country? It will be around for much longer than either Cameron or Clegg.

Thats very true. The problem with AV is that you have to vote for THREE people!

I can't find one that I want to vote for.

That's not true.

Expand...I'm always willing to learn.

You can give your vote to just one candidate if you want to. You don't have to use your second, third etc preferences.

In practice it means that under AV MPs can be elected without reaching that 'magic' 50%. Another AV myth busted....

Rubbish. Under AV, a candiate who gets 49% of first preferences could lose to a candidate who only got 20% of first preferences!! Would that reflect the will of the electorate? Really?

of course it would because in the end you have a final round with two candidates. If the one with 49% in the first round cannot convince anyone else to vote for him in further rounds then he should not get in.

AV puts the post in FPTP - under AV you have to convince 50% of all voters to support you. If not you don't get in. Under FPTPF you can get in even if 70% of the electorate voted to NOT have you - how is that fair?

Archived