AV Referendum - how will you vote?

How will you vote in the AV referendum?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote in the AV referendum?

• Yes - Change to AV
    • No - Stick with 'First Past the Post'
    • Don't know/Won't vote

In my opinion, it means even more chance of the parties I don't support getting in, compared to the FPP system.

Fair enough. AV isn't perfect by any means and that's a valid reason not to support it from a personal perspective. I just don't buy a lot of the other anti-AV arguments.

We have finally had a leaflet through our door which actually explains what the AV system is and how it works. It is from the "no" campaign and it explains it quite well. Everything we have received from the "yes" campaign has avoided mentioning anything at all about how it will work, just slogans like "make your MP work harder to get elected" and "don't let the BNP in" etc. Comparing the two sides' leaflets make the "Yes" campaign look like they think we are all extremely thick and gullible. If they have some sensible reasons to vote yes, why haven't they put them on their leaflets rather than wasting many thousands of pounds printing tabloid garbage which says nothing at all about AV? Their leaflets don't even say anything about how votes would be counted!

AV: no good at all. It's not even proportional.

FPTP: better, albeit imperfect.

Sadly, they're the only two options on offer; so I'll vote for FPTP.

But really I'd prefer the French system of two-round votes.

1. As in FPTP. If someone gains >50%, he/she wins. If not:

2. The top two of round 1 fight it out in a head-to-head. French have this three weeks after round 1, but I'd say that one week's quite enough.

In my opinion, it means even more chance of the parties I don't support getting in, compared to the FPP system.

With respect, and as a very anti-AV person, is that a good reason to decide how to vote? In my opinion, everyone should vote for the fairest system (which is clearly the FPP of the two options available). The politicians are all aligned behind whichever system they think will most benefit them, which shows how dishonest they are and how little they care about honest democracy. I think anyone who votes purely on the basis that they don't want a particularly vile party such as the BNP to get any seats is putting personal preference before fairness.

We have finally had a leaflet through our door which actually explains what the AV system is and how it works. It is from the "no" campaign and it explains it quite well.

I've had that leaflet too. It's dissected quite well here - http://imgur.com/a/hgmbQ

It doesn't quite go as far as telling outright lies, but it does use a lot of half-truths and unfounded statements.

I think I accidentally spoiled my ballot paper.

I put a 1 for yes and a 2 for no before realizing my mistake. I then added a circle and a cross to signify my intention is to vote yes.

Will I have to request a new paper.

Archived