People on benefits and carboot sales

intesting that you should say it was difficult to survive on benefits because there are some people who do very well out of the system.

There will always be people who abuse the system and get away with it but if we're talking about somebody who cannot make ends meet and have to resort to selling their possessions then I think a little tolerance wouldn't go amiss

There will always be people who abuse the system and get away with it but if we're talikg about somebody who cannot make ends meet and have to resort to selling their possessions then I think a little tolerance wouldn't go amiss

i would go along with that too. im not adolf hitler all the time!. the people that get me are the ones who are happily living on the dole and other benefits and don't wish to change their ways. i felt reassured when mr cameron and mr clegg took over almost a year ago that this would be stopped. eleven months on and i still see people reluctant to go out to work and they have the cheek to earn a bit more beer money on the side selling junk at the bootsales.

Selling your household possesions is not income, you could get dealer to your house and sell them to him,

That's right, but it might come under Capital Gains, of which you're allowed £10,200/annum in any case. If for example you sold a painting or item of jewelry for say £5k then the benefits people would certainly like to know, in fact they would like to know before you sold it. The value of cars though, I think, are exempt, apart from vintage collector models. Interesting, isn't it?

how do people who live on benefits stand if they were to gather all their junk together and sell it at a carboot sale?. i am assuming this doesn't have to be declared to the sosh?. however is it fair that if they are making money on the side that it isn't taken into account when they are paid money from the state?. i reckon it is not fair and that they should have to declare the money that they make so that they get less benefit paid.

Are these good folk undercuting your attempts to sell the family cutlery and your Chris de Burgh CDs?You sound like Scrooge on a day trip to the pawnbroker.

some very small minded comments but just to make things clear - one off sums of money are classed as capital and the capital threshold for means tested benefits is £6000, so £20 in a card or £100 on a scratchcard doesn't have to be declared. Any capital or savings over £6000 and up to £16,000 is subject to a tariff income so £1 is deducted weekly for every £250 over the threshold.

surely whether it is me on a builing site all day earning a living or someone on a carboot sale earning £50- £100 in a few hours it still constitutes a living. they are still earning money no matter how they earnt it and as such they shouldn't also be getting benefit money too.

So if they are selling their own unwanted goods on a car boot they are fiddling,let me let you into a little secret but dont tell anyone the goods they are selling what they bought brand new will be making a loss, guaranteed..and theres me thinking to have an earner you had to make a profit

whys it any worse than people who work and dont declare it to the government as earnings??
I was just going to post same then noticed you had already done so.How many ppl on forum using for sales have declared it to tax man then.Anyone can sell at a car boot working or not providing its there own personal items.Its once they start buying other items to sell is then classed as trade.Admag and freeads used to allow ppl to sell car boot items but if they wanted to put a advert in for car boot items required, They would then charge a fee as its classed as trade.

I was just going to post same then noticed you had already done so.How many ppl on forum using for sales have declared it to tax man then.Anyone can sell at a car boot working or not providing its there own personal items.Its once they start buying other items to sell is then classed as trade.Admag and freeads used to allow ppl to sell car boot items but if they wanted to put a advert in for car boot items required, They would then charge a fee as its classed as trade.

i know ebay is targetted by the tax people for people who look like theyre using it as a business

I think it is disgusting that people, on benefits, working, whatever, are allowed to sell stuff and not declare it.

After all, most stuff sold on eBay or at carboots is for a price significantly less than the price originally paid, so at a loss. I think we should be able to get a tax rebate on the losses incurred.

:hihi:

sounds like hatred to people out of work to me, have no money have to sell your car, why should you tell the dole, im out of work, everything i own has been bought out of wages, why if i sell my car should i go with no benefits, wouldnt anyone whos in work like to think they can keep there belongings before there made redundant?

Archived