Hypothetical question. What will you do to protect your family?

Would you press the button?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you press the button?

• Yes
    • No

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to kill a million other people in one fell swoop, just to protect my own family and friends from the slim chance that they might be killed, based on the facts presented to me in the hypothesis.

I find it hard to believe that many people would.

If one island is firing these rockets how long do you think it would be before the other island retaliated with similar force, the conflict would then escalate into all-out war, making it much more likely that a member of your family would be killed. So even if you didn’t know for definite that a member of your family would die, it would still be very likely. How many people in the UK would have got through the world wars without losing someone they love? Imaging if you had the button and with one push you could have eliminated the population of Germany.

And no the button won't just kill Adolf Hitler.:)

First of all, I would consult our islands monarch with relation to forming a coalition government.

Once Successfully formed, I would create a Big Society (Means nothing but sounds good on paper) amongst our fellow islanders and impose heavy taxation on all those within.

I would then scrap whatever armed forces, munitions, and military hardware, so that we are in a weakened position with regard to personal island defence.

I would then debate in the island parliament, the pro's and con's of pushing the button. This would take many months, maybe years, to resolve, all the while innocent people dying from the actions of island B.

Because the population of island A decreases on such a rapid and alarming scale, taxation would again have to increase to provide funding for government ministers, parliamentary expenses, and second homes. Either that, or we'd have to get help from other island nations by using immigration as a population top-up, and relax the already lax border controls.

I would then ask for the United Island Nations to debate on whether intervention by push of hypothetical button against island B is lawful and justified.

Of course, by the time the decision was made, much time later, there'd only be me left anyway - and I'd push the button without a second thought.

Which is what we should have done right back at the start.

I think it would be best if we don't put you in charge of the button.:hihi:

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to kill a million other people in one fell swoop, just to protect my own family and friends from the slim chance that they might be killed, based on the facts presented to me in the hypothesis.

I find it hard to believe that many people would.

What if there's only you and your loved one's left alive? Surely your conscience wouldn't allow you to watch them suffer the same fate as the other Islanders?

May be not, the religious beliefs of some people would prevent them from sacrificing others to save themselves or a loved one.

I agree, and my own personal values would prevent me from pushing the button, but I still think, in this situation, that I would push the button - and so would 99.9999% of the population...

I agree, and my own personal values would prevent me from pushing the button, but I still think, in this situation, that I would push the button - and so would 99.9999% of the population...

Not according to the poll:o

Archived