CAMRA 40 years old.

The Campaign for Real Ale is 40 years old. The nature of brewing in the UK has changed out of all recognition in that time. All region's major breweries have closed and now we have more than a dozen small craft brewers brewing beers that are widely available in local pubs and with reputations and awards that are the envy of most of the country.

Celebrate by having a pint of locally brewed real ale at a local pub. Better still have several.:)

First joined CAMRA at the Great British Beer Festival in 2002. Let my membership lapse a couple of years ago for financial reasons but re-joined in January at the National Winter Ale Festival in Manchester.

In all honesty I'm very proud to be a CAMRA member and the AGM in Sheffield this month should be interesting.

When I was repping, the best part of the job was stopping off in a Good Pub Guide recommended pub/hotel and sampling the "local" hand-pulled beer(s).

CAMRA did, and I guess still does, a fantastic job in sustaining interest in small local breweries' beers. Without them, who knows what would have happened.

Cheers!!

The Campaign for Real Ale is 40 years old. The nature of brewing in the UK has changed out of all recognition in that time. All region's major breweries have closed and now we have more than a dozen small craft brewers brewing beers that are widely available in local pubs and with reputations and awards that are the envy of most of the country.

Celebrate by having a pint of locally brewed real ale at a local pub. Better still have several.:)

Says Speckled Hen whose name sake beer is brewed by Greene King the brewery that bought up many small breweries and added chemicals to Suffolk water to be able to brew different beers in one brewery. A change of avatar name might be a good idea.......:hihi:

• 3 months later...
The 'campaign' has long since been won.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. We don't have that many "locals" selling good real ale - we do have the real ale ghetto in the valley that doesn't serve any particular community.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. We don't have that many "locals" selling good real ale - we do have the real ale ghetto in the valley that doesn't serve any particular community.

I would tend to disagree with this statement, because there are plenty of houses, bungalows and flats around the Public Houses in the "Valley of Beer".

I would tend to disagree with this statement, because there are plenty of houses, bungalows and flats around the Public Houses in the "Valley of Beer".

Flats yes - most built in the last few years - but houses & bungalows?

Archived