If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

And no I wouldn't. Judging by the advertisments, this site has commercial value and is not a public sevice.

The site has to have an income to afford to pay the bills, since it's not backed by a larger site to which it is attached.

I did both mod and admin roles for a few years and it is a sometimes painful and thankless task. Because Sheff Forum is a geographical forum rather than one that is tied together by a theme you deal with the wide cross section of humanity - some of whom you really wouldn't want to deal with. What you see on the forum is only a small percentage of the work that actually goes on behind the scenes and there were certainly days (and I assume still are) when I was up till the early hours chasing out particularly pernicious and nasty troll like entities. It also has a serious effect on what you can post - people will pounce with glee on any possible infraction that a mod has made which really cuts into the enjoyment of the place. Still Sheff Forum has been very good to me and I was happy to do my bit to help it run more smoothly but I do tend to think that time as a mod or admin should be time limited so you don't hit the point where you just can't take the aggro any more and have to just dump the site entirely.

Of course within days of giving up here I found myself modding on another site but as that's a thematic one I'm finding it a breeze in comparison!

The point you make about the forum being geographically based rather than interest based is a good one. I participate in another forum that is interest based and because the interest attracts people of a certain intelligence and is of no interest to thickos it is remarkably free of moderator intervention.

Moderating that forum has to be 1000 times easier than being a moderator of SF and having to deal with all the low quality people who post here.

You asked about Mods not getting paid, I was just saying there is more to it than that.

I didn't ask a question, I just stated what i think to be a fact. If there is more to it, then I'll happily be corrected, but I cannot quite understand how moderating could be considered a voluntary service on a commercial website.

The point you make about the forum being geographically based rather than interest based is a good one. I participate in another forum that is interest based and because the interest attracts people of a certain intelligence and is of no interest to thickos it is remarkably free of moderator intervention.

Moderating that forum has to be 1000 times easier than being a moderator of SF and having to deal with all the low quality people who post here.

:o

A true Yorkshire man ............ nowt like calling a spade a spade. :hihi:

Archived