If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

I didn't ask a question, I just stated what i think to be a fact. If there is more to it, then I'll happily be corrected, but I cannot quite understand how moderating could be considered a voluntary service on a commercial website.

medusa talked about paying the bills, my point was that there are other bills than wages ..............

I didn't ask a question, I just stated what i think to be a fact. If there is more to it, then I'll happily be corrected, but I cannot quite understand how moderating could be considered a voluntary service on a commercial website.

I doubt the forum makes a profit enabling it to pay a admin team, and if people didn't volunteer i guess this place wouldn't exist.

If it does make a small profit, fair play, the admin team are Sheff forum users too, so if they spot something untoward whilst browsing, they nuke it.

That's simple enough for me to understand.

I doubt the forum makes a profit enabling it to pay a admin team, and if people didn't volunteer i guess this place wouldn't exist.

If it does make a small profit, fair play, the admin team are Sheff forum users too, so if they spot something untoward whilst browsing, they nuke it.

That's simple enough for me to understand.

And so they do, for nothing.

The forum does not make enough of an income to pay anybody a full wage. What money it does make (which is left over after the bills are paid) contributes to part of the site owner's income. Forums are not money spinners- I know for a fact that there are times when the banner ads for the site raise pence per day. If you take a rather large hosting and bandwidth cost and add to that the cost of licensed software and a legal bill then there's not a huge amount left over.

With the exception of 4 (I think) buffet meals and a few Christmas cards over the last few years, I can put my hand on my heart and tell you that I receive no income from SF, so how can I not be said to be a volunteer? The same applies to the rest of the team too BTW.

I have always thought the BoyFriday would make a good moderator as he

is one of the Forums most consistently thoughtful contributors who is able (unlike some:blush:) to keep his cool under occasionally very trying circumstances!

I have always thought the BoyFriday would make a good moderator as he

is one of the Forums most consistently thoughtful contributors who is able (unlike some:blush:) to keep his cool under occasionally very trying circumstances!

But..

:hihi:.

I've been a moderator of several forums, Primary Administrator of 2 (I set them up and maintained the sites as a whole).

Through this I've developed a 'thick skin' when it comes to all the aforemention 'character assasination' and hitler similies. One of the favorites amongst those that disagree with a decision is that of calling moderators "power-mad". And yes whilst that can be true of some individuals at times, after all we're only human, it's not always the case.

Moderating a large forum such as this would be a challenge IF it was actively monitored but since it relies upon member's reports and mods chancing upon things then I guess it wouldn't be such a chore.

I doubt I will ever be asked by the team behind SF as I, although inadvertantly, broke the rules and was subject to a temporary ban. I'm not bleating about that, I was in the wrong and deserved the punishment as laid out in the rules..

That said, I would consider the option if I was asked.

Archived