If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

I have always thought the BoyFriday would make a good moderator as he

is one of the Forums most consistently thoughtful contributors who is able (unlike some:blush:) to keep his cool under occasionally very trying circumstances!

I think he tries too hard and wants to be a moderator and anyway decent posters are best off left to be ordinary users without the 'looking over the shoulder' that moderators posts always show. If anyone has to toe the line they do.

That's why I always turn down the offers to be a moderator on SF despite the increasingly desperate pleas from the admin team.

GazE

Hi GazE. I notice that you now reside in Dubai.

In your post you said you couldn't continue with your admin duties because you had relocated; to Dubai I presume. Why couldn't you continue? Does SF require moderaters and the admin team to be in close proximity of each other? If yes, why is this?

The point you make about the forum being geographically based rather than interest based is a good one. I participate in another forum that is interest based and because the interest attracts people of a certain intelligence and is of no interest to thickos it is remarkably free of moderator intervention.

Moderating that forum has to be 1000 times easier than being a moderator of SF and having to deal with all the low quality people who post here.

Low quality people??:hihi:

Are you one of those who carries a M&S carrier bag everywhere they go?.. Prat!

The forum does not make enough of an income to pay anybody a full wage. What money it does make (which is left over after the bills are paid) contributes to part of the site owner's income. Forums are not money spinners- I know for a fact that there are times when the banner ads for the site raise pence per day. If you take a rather large hosting and bandwidth cost and add to that the cost of licensed software and a legal bill then there's not a huge amount left over.

With the exception of 4 (I think) buffet meals and a few Christmas cards over the last few years, I can put my hand on my heart and tell you that I receive no income from SF, so how can I not be said to be a volunteer? The same applies to the rest of the team too BTW.

I was just trying to say that I'm suprised that you're not paid, that's all. Without pay, moderating sounds nothing other than mither.

No, they have to say..Quite Please, but they get paid because they use their voice, Mods just use their fingers.

Yes but how many times could you suggest to 'contact the helpdesk' without being totally bored with the keys upon which your fingers depress?

Archived