If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

Yes but how many times could you suggest to 'contact the helpdesk' without being totally bored with the keys upon which your fingers depress?

Maybe they just type it out 100 times and then just press SEND when they need it :hihi:

GazE

Hi GazE. I notice that you now reside in Dubai.

In your post you said you couldn't continue with your admin duties because you had relocated; to Dubai I presume. Why couldn't you continue? Does SF require moderaters and the admin team to be in close proximity of each other? If yes, why is this?

No, we don't require that. The very fact that admin Andy lives in London and ex-mod Sierra lives in the US should tell you that.

(I hope he doesn't mind me answering for him) Gaz stepped down because his move to a new country and a new job are taking a lot of his time and he wanted to face the challenges and embrace his new life without feeling obliged to visit SF every day.

Gaz is missed as my right hand man more than I can tell you, but he had this opportunity and I wouldn't want to stop him seizing it with both hands. If, when he's settled in new job and home, he would like to return to the team then of course he'll be welcome to return, whether he's in the UK or Dubai, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe they just type it out 100 times and then just press SEND when they need it :hihi:

Or maybe we have PhraseExpress set up with all of our standard phrases so we just have to start a regular phrase and then press number 1 when the program catches up with what we're typing?

Yes, it can be pretty tedious on occasions. The key is to be good enough at typing that I can watch an interesting programme or hold a phone conversation and type answers at the same time.

I was just trying to say that I'm suprised that you're not paid, that's all. Without pay, moderating sounds nothing other than mither.

It's called 'voluntary work' and it's just as well there are people prepared to put in the effort, because otherwise the forum would either tear itself apart or be forced to close. - Fates which have been met by many other forums.

Or maybe we have PhraseExpress set up with all of our standard phrases so we just have to start a regular phrase and then press number 1 when the program catches up with what we're typing?

Yes, it can be pretty tedious on occasions. The key is to be good enough at typing that I can watch an interesting programme or hold a phone conversation and type answers at the same time.

Never mind TV programmes and phone conversations. What do the mod's partners think about them devoting all this time to SF for no pay?

It's called 'voluntary work' and it's just as well there are people prepared to put in the effort, because otherwise the forum would either tear itself apart or be forced to close. - Fates which have been met by many other forums.

Without dismissing the stress and frustration a moderator might feel, it's not like feeding the homeless though, is it?

However, I have read some posts where moderators have obviously taken some time and with admirable moral and social conscience have well advised people, like carers of sick (which has been of personal comfort to me even though I haven't taken part in discussion), and yes, I suppose I'm not really sure if the internet provides a whole new medium for counselling.

But that seems far from closing threads, which is really annoying for those not responsible for the closure of a thread.

And ultimately it's the interest in a forum that keeps one going.

The interest in a forum keeps it going, but litigation can close one in a heartbeat!

Furthermore, I've seen a couple of other (largely unmoderated) forums which were taken over by a handful of people and the majority of the posters stopped using them.

One in particular (which was very busy about 5 years ago) now gets about 5 posts a month. I can only assume it stays open because it's a subset of a much busier forum and the operators haven't got around to closing it.

Never mind TV programmes and phone conversations. What do the mod's partners think about them devoting all this time to SF for no pay?

I can only speak for myself - my husband respects the fact that I have various interests, and none of them bring any money in. I do some other voluntary work; I do some research on my family history; I belong to a walking group; I read and I meet friends. I don't get paid for any of those. Why should he mind me spending a few hours a week on a PC?

I do bits of housework and gardening in between too. ;)

Archived