If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

Never mind TV programmes and phone conversations. What do the mod's partners think about them devoting all this time to SF for no pay?

Mine's an absolute saint. Not only am I the forum manager for SF, but I'm the area coordinator for a large national dog rescue charity (also as a volunteer, can also be done from my recliner and around my need for 12 hours' sleep a day, sometimes at very short notice).

He knows that I need a purpose and that when I first had to give up work the boredom and lack of challenge drove me a little doolally, so he's OK with quite how much of my time and energy is spent looking after this place and rehoming large dogs. He even sometimes makes me a cup of tea whilst I'm Helpdesk wrangling.

I can only speak for myself - my husband respects the fact that I have various interests, and none of them bring any money in. I do some other voluntary work; I do some research on my family history; I belong to a walking group; I read and I meet friends. I don't get paid for any of those. Why should he mind me spending a few hours a week on a PC?I do bits of housework and gardening in between too. ;)

He shouldn't mind a few hours a week, I was under the impression from previous posts from other members of your team that it took up a lot of your time. A few hours a week is not so bad. Keep up the good work.:)

I couldn't fault the Moderators in all honesty for the work that they all undertake, and i'm not brown nosing in any sense I just think to undertaking something such as moderating a forum with thousands of daily users on a voluntary basis has to be hard work, especially when a minority are out to cause trouble and even more work for the mods.

As an avid Lover of football it's nice to see the Sheffield Football section back in some sort of order again too, been some pretty rediculous petty arguing going on in that section until recently where it seems to have calmed down again. On many occasions I wish there was a delete button so I could just could through threads and delete the petty arguing / baiting posts myself but unfortunately there is'nt.

GazE

Hi GazE. I notice that you now reside in Dubai.

In your post you said you couldn't continue with your admin duties because you had relocated; to Dubai I presume. Why couldn't you continue? Does SF require moderaters and the admin team to be in close proximity of each other? If yes, why is this?

Medusa has already answered this one better than I ever could. Ha. But I'll give you a personal response as you asked.

Although I could have continued with my Forum duties, I couldn't have been as effective as I was previously. The only real requirement we asked of Mods and Admins was to have MSN/Skype available to allow communication between us to sort out issues where more than one opinion was needed.

When I left the UK there was a four hour time difference (four hours infront here) and that didn't match up to any of the times that Admins would be available in the UK, without me going to bed at 3:00 am. Also, I now do a 45+ hour week and have a much improved social scene and no internet at my current 'home'. I simply don't have as much time as I did previously so I thought it best to step aside and let someone else handle the role.

I'll still pop in whenever I can and give a heads up to the team if I spot something, if they ever need my advice on something that happened previously I'll also be available. At the moment however I'm quite looking forward to being able to just post when I see a thread I want to comment on.

Yes but how many times could you suggest to 'contact the helpdesk' without being totally bored with the keys upon which your fingers depress?

That's why we have <Ctrl>+"C" and <Ctrl>+"V":D.

Never mind TV programmes and phone conversations. What do the mod's partners think about them devoting all this time to SF for no pay?
mine is fine with it, lets them watch more football on telly for a start

Moderators for the big commercial forums get paid, I'm sure. I guess it would be good work experience here for anyone wanting to be a paid moderator on one of the commercial forums, or the comments sections of newspapers and news media which require moderation.

Archived