If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

i wouldn't do it if I was paid. The reason being that I would presumably then have to commit to being online at specific times, and putting in a minimum number of hours per week.

Some weeks I will devote a huge chunk of time to the forum, other weeks very little. In part it depends on what is going on and in part whether other team members are around. As Neil said, there are occasions when one or more of us will be up until the early hours of the morning dealing with some problem. Other times I'll be online but just have SF open in the background while I do something else.

I'm happy enough with the reward I get which is seeing the forum continuing, and to see people enjoying using it. I would not want that to turn into a job where I'm measured on how many queries I close or reports I action.

Not all jobs are target based.

Most are, though. And if the site owner was paying me, he would have a right to expect a minimum commitment, which I don't want to give. If I was ever in the position that I couldn't go out or couldn't do something I wanted to do because I needed to stay home and do Moderating duties, that would be the day I handed in my resignation.

It's academic anyway because he couldn't afford my hourly rate ;)

Danny,

I have got other things to do, I'm quite happy with where I've got in life and I don't see this job as giving me any kind of power or control.

I, and most of the team, didn't volunteer for the job. By and large people are asked to be moderators, not the other way around.

you telling me you dont enjoy the power to control what people you can or cant talk about on this forum and give then stupid bans as you have a different opinion with the poster

Not saying this is you andy but some of the other mods

This isn't the right forum for discussing bans Danny, but I would say no bans are given without good reason, and anyone who has been banned can appeal via the Helpdesk. We will always review any decision with a second pair of eyes. If there is a specific issue with a ban, please contact us through the correct channels.

Thank you.

PS - If we give out bans because we disagree with someone's opinion, then how come you're still here? ;)

and anyone who has been banned can appeal via the Helpdesk.

TBH the helpdesk is pretty pointless if you are banned for three days or less (as the estimated turn around for the help desk is 72 hours - 3 days).

Which means your ban is served before someone has even read your ticket/appeal.

Archived