If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

But it's people like you who we need! :) Otherwise SF ends up with the only people who welcome/seek the job..... rather than the Chosen Ones. Think on.

It's not just about that though- it can put one in a rather stressful position when it comes to users taking exception to your moderating style and it takes a certain type of person to take the rough with the smooth and not take the criticism personally.

Moderating isn't for everybody and the number who settle into it long term are the more self-assured and independent members of the team.

Having AMs is helpful in all sorts of ways, including giving users who aren't sure whether they could face being a full mod a less obvious and less contentious rôle to let them try it out. The AMs are very valuable to the forum as they are, but the rôle is also a training rôle whilst new team members lose their L plates and get their own moderating style together. Before the AM team existed all new mods had to go from user straight to mod and it was a bit of a baptism of fire.

I would never want to put anybody in a position where they felt uncomfortable, so I would never want anybody to feel obliged to accept an invitation to be an AM or mod just because they think that the forum needs them- that is destined to be a very unhappy relationship. You need to be comfortable enough to stay as a forum user who also wears a mod hat, and if you can't do that then declining is the best course for all concerned.

It'd probably be easier for all concerned if some way could be found so that all moderating was done under a MODERATOR tag and not under individual user names.

That way, it's all anonymous and no-one gets upset by decisions taken by people they might regard as friends or acquaintances.

You could just have the Admin Team showing as users, maybe.

It'd probably be easier for all concerned if some way could be found so that all moderating was done under a MODERATOR tag and not under individual user names.

That way, it's all anonymous and no-one gets upset by decisions taken by people they might regard as friends or acquaintances.

You could just have the Admin Team showing as users, maybe.

If that were to happen, it would lead to mods editing posts, removing posts, closing threads, issuing warnings, suspensions and bans based on their personal views about certain posters. Thanks, but no thanks.

they do, they have a little green bit under their name saying moderator, as for posting, they are still forummers and can still post............but not moderate the same thread

I think he moderators do a wonderful job,its a bit like damned if you do and damned if you dont,the whole point is to keep the forum for everyone without the idiots trying to be racist ect,doesnt matter what it is theres always someone to spoil it,i love SF and 99% of people are ok and advice given is valuable thats my opinion anyway

they do, they have a little green bit under their name saying moderator, as for posting, they are still forummers and can still post............but not moderate the same thread
What? Why are you telling me this as though I don't know it? I don't think you quite understood what I was saying ... :suspect:

I meant having a MODERATOR user solely for the purposes of posting moderating decisions and instructions, no names no pack drill!!

Lol, danot, moderating and deletions are going on right under our very noses here and we have no idea who's doing it anyway. :)

Archived