If you had the chance to become a moderator.. would you?

hmm - I had 6k posts, mainly in GD (though obviously nowhere near your post count :P)
I did specify 'most' and I personally, had noticed you, so don't put your mardy face on ... :D

And posting by members is what keeps the forum going, so trying to make people feel selfconscious about it, is a little counter productive, surely? I'm not sure what purpose the post count serves anyway or why SF has it?

Hmm ... This thread has challenged one of my perceptions of how the forum works. I'd always assumed that only moderators could change the "registered user" tag under their handle but people on this thread, claiming never to have been moderators, have, as a random example "*gets coat*" there. Interestingly, I think (without going back to check) that all who have this ability have stated that they have been invited to be moderators. Maybe that's it.

Me; probably not because I'm too tolerant of everything whilst, at the same time, having an almost OCD-like love of adhering to criterion based judgement. This dichotomy would probably render me incapable.

Having said that, it would be nice to have the power to delete someone's utterly hilarious-on-so-many-levels post because, for instance, I wasn't clever enough to get it and, therefore, labelled it <removed>

Hmm ... This thread has challenged one of my perceptions of how the forum works. I'd always assumed that only moderators could change the "registered user" tag under their handle but people on this thread' date=' claiming never to have been moderators, have, as a random example "*gets coat*" there. Interestingly, I think (without going back to check) that all who have this ability have stated that they have been invited to be moderators. Maybe that's it. [/quote']

I asked a mod to change my title, and it was done, i think you have to be a regular contributor to have a title though, or maybe a certain amount of posts.

Hmm ... This thread has challenged one of my perceptions of how the forum works. I'd always assumed that only moderators could change the "registered user" tag under their handle but people on this thread, claiming never to have been moderators, have, as a random example "*gets coat*" there. Interestingly, I think (without going back to check) that all who have this ability have stated that they have been invited to be moderators. Maybe that's it.

Me; probably not because I'm too tolerant of everything whilst, at the same time, having an almost OCD-like love of adhering to criterion based judgement. This dichotomy would probably render me incapable.

Having said that, it would be nice to have the power to delete someone's utterly hilarious-on-so-many-levels post because, for instance, I wasn't clever enough to get it and, therefore, labelled it <removed>

It's nothing to do with being a moderator, or having been invited to join the team- it's based purely on posting. If you've got more than 400 posts you can ask at the Helpdesk, or if you happen to catch any of the admin team around when we're in a good mood and we can sort it out for you. The mod team don't have the power to change it though.

I was a Moderator and member of the Admin Team for three years in total. Overall it was a positive experience and I would recommend people give it a try if they are given the chance to do so. The fact you’ve been asked means the team would think you would be capable of doing it. Having a thick skin and a cool head helps as you’ll be called names and continually challenged over minor points. Most peoples favourite name seems to be Nazi, surrounded by some swear words.

The team are great, I was very sad when I had to ‘resign’ due to a relocation. It may not seem like it to some people, as not everyone can be pleased 100% of the time, but the amount of work they put into help the majority enjoy the Forum is immense. I was absolutely gutted when HH died last year, we’d never met face to face to had talked lots and I genuinely considered him a friend from all the chats we’d had in our time together on the team discussing various Forum (and non Forum, such as the state of Sheffield Football in general and the Cricket teams) issues.

Some users took time out of their day to thank us for running the Forum well, which was always nice. I’m of the opinion that people are more likely to complain than thank. If someone does take the time to thank you, it really does mean they are happy with the service the Forum provides. People who are not happy with the service were always welcome to discuss their issue and I feel that in a large number of cases we were able to help a user when they contacted us. The main thing I found annoying was people complaining about the Forum in places where we would never respond, like Face Book. Some users really took advantage of this to turn people against the team whenever they could. That’s been going on for a long time though, resulting in the emergence of several other forums and questionably titled Face Book groups. :)

I was a Moderator and member of the Admin Team for three years in total. Overall it was a positive experience and I would recommend people give it a try if they are given the chance to do so. The fact you’ve been asked means the team would think you would be capable of doing it. Having a thick skin and a cool head helps as you’ll be called names and continually challenged over minor points. Most peoples favourite name seems to be Nazi, surrounded by some swear words.

The team are great, I was very sad when I had to ‘resign’ due to a relocation. It may not seem like it to some people, as not everyone can be pleased 100% of the time, but the amount of work they put into help the majority enjoy the Forum is immense. I was absolutely gutted when HH died last year, we’d never met face to face to had talked lots and I genuinely considered him a friend from all the chats we’d had in our time together on the team discussing various Forum (and non Forum, such as the state of Sheffield Football in general and the Cricket teams) issues.

Some users took time out of their day to thank us for running the Forum well, which was always nice. I’m of the opinion that people are more likely to complain than thank. If someone does take the time to thank you, it really does mean they are happy with the service the Forum provides. People who are not happy with the service were always welcome to discuss their issue and I feel that in a large number of cases we were able to help a user when they contacted us. The main thing I found annoying was people complaining about the Forum in places where we would never respond, like Face Book. Some users really took advantage of this to turn people against the team whenever they could. That’s been going on for a long time though, resulting in the emergence of several other forums and questionably titled Face Book groups. :)

I've been banned several times and always found the Mod team to be very reasonable in their dealings with me. The existence of such groups comes as no surprise, having been aware that there are some folk who actively spread malicious nonsense about Forum users in other places. I think it all boils down to good manners really - some people just ahaven't got them!

Archived