Mothers Day Big Let Down by Selfish Kids

I have had the worst mothers day ever. Husband didn't bother taking kids anywhere to get me something, instead he went to Morrissons this morning and bought a card, a half bottle of vodka, Dead Men Don't wear Plaid on DVD (why why why, I've never blooming heard of it?) and some pansies.

THEN, kids didn't even bother to give me said card and presents, they were just left in the Morrissons carrier bag in the kitchen.

THEN hubsy decided to have a crisis of confidence and expected me to make him feel better................... WELL, sorry mate, it aint happening.

I am now at work (until 10.30pm) and quite frankly, I think I am better off here.

Happy Mothers Day to all them deserving mum's, I hope you had a better day than me. xxx

Well.....it looks like he tried to me, are you just being materialistic.? :suspect::suspect::suspect::suspect:

Happy Mothers Day to all them deserving mum's, I hope you had a better day than me. xxx

You know what I've learnt? Instead of 'setting them up' by silently hoping, I now set my stall out. I've found that it tends to be thoughtlessness rather than out and out hatred (lol), so letting them know (gently, kindly, with steel undercurrent) in advance can pay dividends.

Also, if they THEN fail to perform in accordance with your previously-stated wishes, you are perfectly entitled to throw a big wobbly.

I suggest a low key requirement, eg:

1. I'd like a card from each child (or a joint one, you decide)

2. I'd like a small gift, I suggest bath stuff/small plant/box of Thorntons, to be purchased from x, costing y, it's the blue one with the red ribbon (you get the gist)

3. I'd like breakfast in bed, to consist of a cup of tea, and two pieces of toast, preferably not burnt, with butter and marmalade on, served on a plate not on a hand, and on the tray that you'll find behind the kettle.

Men and children (sorry for the generalisation) tend to be able to respond to specific instructions (it gives them a tick list) rather than a vague culturally-inspired dream.

Just a thought for next year! (though you might like to try it on Easter as that's coming up, or your birthday?)

Well, mothers' day fell on my OH's 50th birthday and the golden wedding anniversary of two of our family members this year, so I've been busy with my OH's birthday and my mum has spent the weekend away from home anyway.

She had a card in the post and I'll give her the present that I bought well in advance next week when I see her (we live 90 miles apart) rather than send china through the post and have it arrive as a rather unplanned jigsaw puzzle.

send china through the post and have it arrive as a rather unplanned jigsaw puzzle.

Missed a trick, there, medusa. You could have given your mum a lovely gift, and also hours of pleasure putting it together! :hihi:

Dead Mean Don't Wear Plaid is an excellent film!

My (then) husband bought me a single present from the moment of conception of our baby to uh, well, nothing at all related to the birth except one night when he went to the local shop for milk, and came back (prompted doubtless by my grumbles of, you never buy me anything) with a Walnut Whip.

They may indeed be excellent confectionary products, but I'd never expressed any interest and to this day (seventeen years on) I still remember the event. And not in a good way! :huh:

I'm lucky my Mum does not believe in it, when I was growing up she always said she should be treated randomly throughout the year :suspect: So thats what we did and I still do. She would get bought flowers randomly throughout the year instead......I think that worked out as a better deal for her than only treating her on one day :hihi:
You mean, if your mother had 'believed' in Mother's Day, you'd only have bought her flowers and things on the one day? I expect to get flowers throughout the year anyway, but Mother's Day should be an add on anyway and be special.

I don't blame cofster for feeling a bit miffed and unappreciated, but at least he remembered in the end and tried to make it happen. Probably you have quite young children and a disorganised husband? Men just don't seem to feel the same about these things. But if you demonstrate on Father's Day how things should be, you might get exactly the sort of day you'd love, next year.

(((x)))

I have had the worst mothers day ever. Husband didn't bother taking kids anywhere to get me something, instead he went to Morrissons this morning and bought a card, a half bottle of vodka, Dead Men Don't wear Plaid on DVD (why why why, I've never blooming heard of it?) and some pansies.

When it's fathers day buy him a bunch of flowers, a box of chocolates and a new necklace:hihi::hihi:

I don't blame cofster for feeling a bit miffed and unappreciated, but at least he remembered in the end and tried to make it happen. Probably you have quite young children and a disorganised husband? Men just don't seem to feel the same about these things. But if you demonstrate on Father's Day how things should be, you might get exactly the sort of day you'd love, next year.

(((x)))

I quite agree. At least he did SOMETHING! But I don't agree re Father's Day - by all means, do that how you think it should be done. But I stand by my earlier post - set out beforehand what you'd like for Mothers' Day so they know what they're supposed to do, to make you happy.

Archived