Mothers Day Big Let Down by Selfish Kids

I quite agree. At least he did SOMETHING! But I don't agree re Father's Day - by all means, do that how you think it should be done. But I stand by my earlier post - set out beforehand what you'd like for Mothers' Day so they know what they're supposed to do, to make you happy.

If they'd any respect they'd know - she shouldn't have to tell them

Good post Pattricia, Its all about money, the same as valentines day etc. Shouldnt people be nice to and make an effort for each other all the time, not just on designated days??

I agree completely. Myself, my mother & daughter never bother with Mothers Day for the simple reason we show how much we love & appreciate each other every day & don't need a money grabbing commercial day to tell us

My daughter (7) was at my Mum's for the weekend. I thought Mum might have brought her back early for me, but no, it was after 7pm.

Then my dad told me he went to the shop this morning and got a bottle of wine and some chocolates for my mum, from my daughter... I didn't get a thing!

Almost felt like witholding Mum's presents from me and comfort eating on her thornton's chocolates :hihi:

You mean, if your mother had 'believed' in Mother's Day, you'd only have bought her flowers and things on the one day? I expect to get flowers throughout the year anyway, but Mother's Day should be an add on anyway and be special.

No. I think you have got a little confused and jumped to conclusions.

My mother believes mothers day is a complete waste of time and a commerical event. As a family we do not do extra things on valentines day, fathers day or mothers day, she finds the whole idea of mothering Sunday insulting. I gather the traditons of mothering sunday orginate from past rituals or religions. I know it is important for some people due to religious reasons and respect that :)

I would rather have a surprise on a number of days and not be taken for granted rather than be given a sickly 'mothers day' card and present on a specific day as peer pressure states thats what they have to do on that day. I think it takes more thought to organise random events and I'd rather avoid poor service in a packed restaurant :hihi:

My (then) husband bought me a single present from the moment of conception of our baby to uh, well, nothing at all related to the birth except one night when he went to the local shop for milk, and came back (prompted doubtless by my grumbles of, you never buy me anything) with a Walnut Whip.

They may indeed be excellent confectionary products, but I'd never expressed any interest and to this day (seventeen years on) I still remember the event. And not in a good way! :huh:

Just pointing out a silver lining in it all. He could have bought her a boxed set of Red Dwarf DVDs, wrapped it up all lovely and got the kids to present it - and then have to plaster on a fake grin.

At least she can have a proper laugh at Dead Men...

_________

WRT Father's day: Don't. You might as well start celebrating Grandparents day, Uncles & Aunts day, etc etc.

Mothers day(or Mothering Sunday at least) has some depth and history and meaning.

My daughter (7) was at my Mum's for the weekend. I thought Mum might have brought her back early for me, but no, it was after 7pm.

Then my dad told me he went to the shop this morning and got a bottle of wine and some chocolates for my mum, from my daughter... I didn't get a thing!

Almost felt like witholding Mum's presents from me and comfort eating on her thornton's chocolates :hihi:

Awww, poor you What did he say when you asked why he'd got nothing for you from your daughter? Why did they have her anyway? oops, sorry that's too nosey!

Next year she'll be old enough to make her own card for you anyway. x

I have had the worst mothers day ever. Husband didn't bother taking kids anywhere to get me something, instead he went to Morrissons this morning and bought a card, a half bottle of vodka, Dead Men Don't wear Plaid on DVD (why why why, I've never blooming heard of it?) and some pansies.

THEN, kids didn't even bother to give me said card and presents, they were just left in the Morrissons carrier bag in the kitchen.

THEN hubsy decided to have a crisis of confidence and expected me to make him feel better................... WELL, sorry mate, it aint happening.

I am now at work (until 10.30pm) and quite frankly, I think I am better off here.

Happy Mothers Day to all them deserving mum's, I hope you had a better day than me. xxx

I'll have the DVD if you don't want it. Its a superb film

Just pointing out a silver lining in it all. He could have bought her a boxed set of Red Dwarf DVDs, wrapped it up all lovely and got the kids to present it - and then have to plaster on a fake grin.

At least she can have a proper laugh at Dead Men...

_________

WRT Father's day: Don't. You might as well start celebrating Grandparents day, Uncles & Aunts day, etc etc.

Mothers day(or Mothering Sunday at least) has some depth and history and meaning.

There is a grandparents day. Its of Japanese origin I think

I'm surprised that some people are trying to make the op not feel cheated today at not receiving from recognition from her family, just because they either can't be bothered with it or don't care about it themselves.

She feels what she feels, and posted on here for a bit of a moan about it, quite rightly so, imo. We should just sympathise and if we can't, maybe start another thread about how we don't like any special fuss on red letter days!

Mother's Day isn't really anything to do with religion, afaik? Wasn't it a Sunday off given by employers so that their servants could go home to see their families once a year, originally called Mothering Sunday.

Archived