How can an atheist believe in ghosts?

So you believe there's an afterlife then?.. a place where your loved one's are waiting for you?

No. Ghosts are merely a recording in time played back endlessly which explains why unconnected witnesses over many decades or centuries keep seeing the same scenes 'played' back.

All of those would fit nicely into the "any old rubbish" explanation though they do seem to crop up often from people who are otherwise perfectly sensible.

"Any old rubbish" is simply my take on these theories, but the fact that perfectly sensible people may believe them doesn't sway me. Theories tend not to catch on if their proponents are obviously off their rockers!

EDIT: No offence intended....:)

No. Ghosts are merely a recording in time played back endlessly which explains why unconnected witnesses over many decades or centuries keep seeing the same scenes 'played' back.

So it's not just a simple delusion?

So it's not just a simple delusion?

I'm sure the majority of them are. The category I describe can't be if the witnesses are unconnected and spread out over the decades. That's just detective logic before we go into anything else.

How does this recording work ?

Beats me, I'm no scientist. There is a great BBC drama called The Stone Tape which offers some sort of explanation. See if you can locate it. My brain stretches only as far as the basic principle. I'm no ghost fanatic and roll my eyes at the majority of stuff that comes up. There are some cases that seem very genuine but always involve an uncommunicative image of individuals glimpsed briefly and then only by some people who seem to have a sense for it.

NO!

An atheist is simply someone who doesn't believe in God! The term 'atheist' implies nothing about the reasons why this might be the case. Someone who believes that God doesn't exist because he was destroyed in a space battle with the King of the Xlanthians of Blargon 5 is still an atheist.

SF atheists don't believe that though. They find the very idea of God rediculous, they dismiss the theists argument because the theist can produce no evidence to prove there actually is one. This has become the atheists favourate line of argument on SF. Surely, that line of argment must conflict with the reason they believe in ghosts?

Archived