How can an atheist believe in ghosts?

Who says that they scientifically 'saw the same image'?

I don't know how you would 'scientifically' see it. People see thing with their eyes, simple as that. A pattern emerges over the years of people minus an agenda saying they saw something. Turns out someone 30 years prior did too and so on. I'm merely aware of this theory and am not able to provide some thorough explanation as if we were discussing Ed Miliband's policies.

Ah, so to be able to see these new BBC physics recordings you need to have special sensory apparatus. Would this be available on a TV detector van or is something else needed?

Ah it's comedy hour I see. Fair enough, I can see how it sounds ridiculous and I couldn't care less one way or another as I'm not an MP for the Stone Tape Party. I'm simply mentioning a theory. I hope you are not religious and trying to prove a point that ends with "God must exist because you believe in a dodgy ghost theory"?

I wonder whether professor Dawkins is aware of this?:D

I'm not sure how well I would get on in a head to head with him on this!:D I think the logic of my argument is sound though.

I class myself as an atheist, and for me it is a belief. I know, logically, that God could exist, but I reject the idea, utterly and completely. Not so different to the blind faith of the theist.;)

I don't know how you would 'scientifically' see it. People see thing with their eyes, simple as that. A pattern emerges over the years of people minus an agenda saying they saw something. Turns out someone 30 years prior did too and so on. I'm merely aware of this theory and am not able to provide some thorough explanation as if we were discussing Ed Miliband's policies.

Hehe,

I think that what I find most intriguing about this topic is that somebody who is clearly as smart as yourself finds space in their psyche for something that is not just without any substance but clearly flies in the face of every known physical property that we know of. While we are still learning, we know plenty about the fundamentals if not all the ways that we can use them.

What we do know for certain is that humans are utterly fallible in what they think they are observing or experiencing.

I'm pretty open minded and agnostic but I can see that there are a thousand answers more likely than a ghost, stone tape, spirit, god, etc. What is it about our make up that the most impossible options are favoured by so many?

no god, no ghosts and no flying spaghetti monster ( sorry pastafarians ) nothing to do with logic, or science. It might be a plan for some folk to nip down to the hairdressers supply shop tomorrow, and maybe ask for something to keep separate sections of hair in place for the purposes of cutting, styling or just neatness......

Hehe,

I think that what I find most intriguing about this topic is that somebody who is clearly as smart as yourself finds space in their psyche for something that is not just without any substance but clearly flies in the face of every known physical property that we know of. While we are still earning we know plenty about the fundamentals if not all the ways that we can use them.

What we do know for certain is that humans are utterly fallible in what they think they are observing.

Well thanks. To me Professor Jacob Bronowski is God but I have an element of curiosity in my mind that makes me look into such theories. It could all be a load of junk but patterns of witnesses over many years do intrigue me. I don't automatically think "wow, the pattern proves it!" But it is food for thought to me. It intrigues me in the same way a murder trial would not in a hocus pocus, I'll fetch my crystal ball way.

I'm not sure how well I would get on in a head to head with him on this!:D I think the logic of my argument is sound though.

I class myself as an atheist, and for me it is a belief. I know, logically, that God could exist, but I reject the idea, utterly and completely. Not so different to the blind faith of the theist.;)

I don't believe the universe issued from the burp of a giant space duck. Yet that isn't impossible. Does that then make me a blind believer in the non existence of a giant burping space duck creator?

Well why don't you find an atheist who beleves in ghosts and who also uses the arguments you mention and ask them? You seem to be jumping to the conclusion that because there are hypothetical atheists who believe ghosts, all atheists believe in ghosts, and therefore owe you an explaination as to this apparent inconsistency, simply because they are atheists, even though they probably do not believe in ghosts themselves.
I haven't said- "all atheists believe in ghosts". I said- The favourate line of argument of the SF atheist when discrediting the argument of the theist is- 'there's no evidence to prove God exists, therefore God doesn't exist. Which raises the question- how can an atheist(not necessarily you)believe in ghosts?

I haven't said- "all atheists believe in ghosts". I said- The favourate line of argument of the SF atheist when discrediting the argument of the theist is- 'there's no evidence to prove God exists, therefore God doesn't exist. Which raises the question- how can an atheist(not necessarily you)believe in ghosts?

I think most of us take the Dawkins line that no we don't believe but if God appears then we will. At the moment there are merely books written by men to go on.

I'm atheist, but I have seen things which I cannot explain (and others have also been unable to explain) but which have been interpreted as ghostly manifestations by others.

Little things like being in an empty nightclub where I used to work and having all of the toilets in the ladies' loos flush, all at the same time, when I knew that I was the only person in there, or having the front row of glasses behind the bar all fall off the (lipped) shelf. The nightclub used to be a post office and so had a big walk in safe upstairs and it was normal practice that if you needed to go into the safe you made sure that the door was clipped back to the wall and fully open, to make sure that you weren't going to be shut in accidentally. It was still so common that the (clipped back) door closed on people in the safe that the club manager had a phone installed in there so he could call the police station next door for them to come and let him out again.

I can't explain what caused these phenomena and don't believe in an afterlife but lots of other people interpreted them as the actions of a ghost, even going as far as to attribute them to a person who committed suicide in the building.

Archived