Which pub had the best jukebox

• 3 months later...

Which Pub Had The Best Jukebox.

During my travels in the 70's around the pubs of Sheffield I came across plenty of decent jukeboxes. Some pubs had jukeboxes that weren't reight good, and they were for me, pukeboxes. I remember you could get 6 records for a quid up to about 1974, then they changed plenty of jukeboxes to 1 play 50p, 3 plays a nicker.

My particular favourites were:-

Whetstone (Tetley) - David Bowie - Starman, Amsterdam

- Black Sabbath - Wizard, Paranoid

- Uriah Heep - Look at yourself, Gypsy

Albert (Whitbread) - Focus - Hocus Pocus, Sylvia

- Allman Bros - Jessica, Ramblin' Man

- Neil Young - Sugar Mountain, Heart Of Gold

Nelson (Whitbread) - Led Zeppelin - Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop

- Free - My Brother Jake, Wishing Well

- Deep Purple - Black Night, Strange Kind Of Woman

It was really funny in the Nelson when Hurricane Pt 2 (B-side of Hurricane Pt 1) by Dylan was played. The song was a 33 r.p.m. track , but it was played at 45 r.p.m. on the jukebox......Brilliant!

The above were from my night (evening) visits. For a change, I sometimes went straight from work to the Olde Red Lion (Stones) on Holly Street to play pinball and listen to Andy Williams and Carpenters, but none of that Clive Dung – Grandad or Rough Harris – Two Little Boys, stuff. Ugh.

P.S. 1 play 50p was extortionate when you consider the price of a pint of bitter, 14p!!

Which Pub Had The Best Jukebox.

During my travels in the 70's around the pubs of Sheffield I came across plenty of decent jukeboxes. Some pubs had jukeboxes that weren't reight good, and they were for me, pukeboxes. I remember you could get 6 records for a quid up to about 1974, then they changed plenty of jukeboxes to 1 play 50p, 3 plays a nicker.

My particular favourites were:-

Whetstone (Tetley) - David Bowie - Starman, Amsterdam

- Black Sabbath - Wizard, Paranoid

- Uriah Heep - Look at yourself, Gypsy

Albert (Whitbread) - Focus - Hocus Pocus, Sylvia

- Allman Bros - Jessica, Ramblin' Man

- Neil Young - Sugar Mountain, Heart Of Gold

Nelson (Whitbread) - Led Zeppelin - Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop

- Free - My Brother Jake, Wishing Well

- Deep Purple - Black Night, Strange Kind Of Woman

It was really funny in the Nelson when Hurricane Pt 2 (B-side of Hurricane Pt 1) by Dylan was played. The song was a 33 r.p.m. track , but it was played at 45 r.p.m. on the jukebox......Brilliant!

The above were from my night (evening) visits. For a change, I sometimes went straight from work to the Olde Red Lion (Stones) on Holly Street to play pinball and listen to Andy Williams and Carpenters, but none of that Clive Dung – Grandad or Rough Harris – Two Little Boys, stuff. Ugh.

P.S. 1 play 50p was extortionate when you consider the price of a pint of bitter, 14p!!

I think it might have been 10p for one play in 1974 surely not 50p Zakes.

In the late sixties it was one play for a tanner, three for a bob and seven for two bob. Beer was 1/10d a pint.

Just wondering which pub had the best jukebox. Its my belief that the Nelson on the moor will take some beating. classics like Blackfoot Sue's standing in the road. Led zep galore jethro tull genesis yes etc. anyone no one with more classics on it

Amheds cafe AKA star caff at page hall :hihi:

Albert was a good jukebox too,agree with both the above but the best is debatable.

The positioning of the jukebox was the best thing about it.It was infront of the fireplace and could be quickly pulled out for all the dope to be chucked behind when the police raided.

The one in the Nelson can only more recentley had Led Zeppelin on it when it became a CD one.In the 70's when it was 45's there can't have been any Zep on it as they didn't release singles.