Which pub had the best jukebox

Although Wikipedia does have it that Led Zeppelin did not release songs from their albums in the UK.Another discography shows singles "widely available" in the UK and US.Presumably they were European releases.

All Zep singles were american imports. But Violet Maes had them all.

think that one had baccaras yes sir i can boogie on it so was definitely containing classics there pigeon. Also i agree with dogsneck definitely the beginning of the end for pagehall:rolleyes:

YES ROB I AGREED WITH CHAMPS AS WELL IT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END WE DID HAVE SOME GREAT TIMES WHEN WE WERE KIDS IN THAT AREA NOW I THINK ITS TIME TO BULLDOZE IT AND START AGAIN :hihi:

YES ROB I AGREED WITH CHAMPS AS WELL IT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END WE DID HAVE SOME GREAT TIMES WHEN WE WERE KIDS IN THAT AREA NOW I THINK ITS TIME TO BULLDOZE IT AND START AGAIN :hihi:

hiya, more to the point which was the best pub not to have a jukebox,now our local didn't have one as it only had a darts room a best room and a corner dram shop, the landlord only had a joanna which he'd give us a tune on a saturday night, and on special days we would have a man with a mouth organ, or the spoons, or the bones ( nick nacks) and one time we had a concertina played, and early on saturday nights the sound of the tamborine when the sally army were on their rounds selling the young soldier and the war cry.

The Coach and Horses at Chapeltown gets my vote. There was a record on called Gun or by a band called Gun, would love to hear it again. Royal Oak opposite wasn't bad either with Keith Emerson, Genesis and Floyd on. And there was a table football in there where you had to get a tanner from behind the bar 'cos they'd gone out of circulation. The Coach had Freebird on and you never heard the end of course as it ejected before it got there.....

The Nelson during the steel strike of 79/80 took my blues away many a time as well.

Just remembered it was Race with the Devil by Gun. Loved that track.

Edited by zepstox

• 10 years later...

Hi Charliewag, I used to go in the Coach most nights from 1970 to about 1975. It was always a good pub and jukebox, a local lad called Nick looked after it. If you had a favourite he would give you the old record when it was being replaced. There were some great lads in there at that time, the landlord and landlady were called Ozzie and Dorothy Birkinshaw. I would love to know what happened to all the lads, especially one called John Taylor (slurper John) who lived at High Green and another called David Blatch (Ding) who lived in the old railway station house just off Chapeltown hill. Just wondered if you knew them and where they are now. 😊

There were many pubs with great Juke boxes. But it was a case of what sort of music you liked. I liked all sorts of stuff.

I worked at Edgar Allens and used to go in the Commercial at Tinsley Terminus, they had a great selection of the current hits of the mid to late sixties. I also went in the Union a John Smiths House just down the road. They also had a great selection and it was turned up loud.

The  Bell in Fitzalan Square had a good selection, as did the Cross Guns at Sharrowvale.

Goingfurther out one of the best was The Atlas on Bawtry Road in Brinsworth. The Fox and Duck at Tinsley.

I used to get around in those days. 

I suppose working shifts in the Melting shop had a lot to do with it. No internet or computers, just Radio Luxemburg till about 1 am and after that sometimes the portable record player in the shift lab/office between the heats. on afters and nights.  Lots of music.

The days of old!

Edited by CF8M

The Red Lion on Holly Street had the best Juke box crowd ever , On the beer tables the Land lady( Dorothy )placed tins and boxes full of of dried peas , buttons and sand ,      scattered around the pub were washing boards and drum sticks , some customers had mouth organs and Tommy Talkers . 

When a good old Rock or Country no was playing the music machine the daftest customers who ever existed in any pub World wide would become the Lion band .

The tins were shook , the washing boards  rubbed , the drummers on tables drummed like mad (we were ) , then the gob irons and Tommy Talkers started up.  , The noise and sounds I can hear now as I remember those mad times accompanying the the big old Lion juke box .

Edited by cuttsie

6 hours ago, cuttsie said:

The Red Lion on Holly Street had the best Juke box crowd ever , On the beer tables the Land lady( Dorothy )placed tins and boxes full of of dried peas , buttons and sand ,      scattered around the pub were washing boards and drum sticks , some customers had mouth organs and Tommy Talkers . 

When a good old Rock or Country no was playing the music machine the daftest customers who ever existed in any pub World wide would become the Lion band .

The tins were shook , the washing boards  rubbed , the drummers on tables drummed like mad (we were ) , then the gob irons and Tommy Talkers started up.  , The noise and sounds I can hear now as I remember those mad times accompanying the the big old Lion juke box .

More great memories Cuttsie!

6 hours ago, trastrick said:

More great memories Cuttsie!

Yes ‘ the band leader was  Albert Greenwood

He would lead the musicians out of the Lion and around the City Hall collecting other passér bye s on the one way back.    it was  ahilarious time.   some would strip to under wear. As well 

Edited by cuttsie