Car Insurance question

Can someone help me as im kinda lost.

I'm currently insured fully comp or car A.

we now have another car that is my partners. I have just got insurance on it but not sure if I have just wasted money.

I have just bought fully comp insurance for us both on car B. but im not sure if I needed too for me as im already fully comp. Also if i didnt need to, i understand the car has to have its own insurance for me to drive it, but could my partner have just gone third party if wanted?

hope it makes sense

We have 2 cars, I am fully comp on mine and my husband is third party fire and theft but he can drive other cars on his policy so we can both drive both cars...although the cover if driving each others is only third party.

We have 2 cars, I am fully comp on mine and my husband is third party fire and theft but he can drive other cars on his policy so we can both drive both cars...although the cover if driving each others is only third party.

So are we both covered now to drive both cars?

I think that usually for you to be able to drive another car using your current insurance the other car has to have a fully comprehensive policy already running on it. Just becuase the other car has a policy does not mean you can drive it on your insurance, you would need to check that your current policy covers you to drive other cars and even then it would only be third party cover.

To sum up - if your partner has a fully comp policy to drive car B and your insurance on car A states you can drive other cars then you would be insured to drive car B third party.

I though that for me to drive another car third party using my insurance the other car needed a fully comp policy and not a third party one but I am not 100% sure.

So are we both covered now to drive both cars?

yes, you should be, most insurance policies say if you can drive other cars on the policy and if fully comp you usually can (never known it be otherwise).

so if you are both fully comp you can drive each others cars but the insurance would only be third party.

Let me try and explain alittle better. My car (car a) I am insured on it fully comp thru (insurance company 1)

My partners car (car B) I am main driver on and he is additional driver as I aim to use his car for work so id be using it more, and we are both insured by (company 2)

So we have a joint policy for car B and I have a policy for me for car A.

So can we both drive both cars and what cover would we have?

Can someone help me as im kinda lost.

I'm currently insured fully comp or car A.

we now have another car that is my partners. I have just got insurance on it but not sure if I have just wasted money.

I have just bought fully comp insurance for us both on car B. but im not sure if I needed too for me as im already fully comp. Also if i didnt need to, i understand the car has to have its own insurance for me to drive it, but could my partner have just gone third party if wanted?

hope it makes sense

If you are fully comp on car A you could drive car B but only with 3rd party cover on your policy, presumably you have insured car B fully comp in your partners name with you as a named driver therefore you are covered fully comp. to drive car B under their policy.

Let me try and explain alittle better. My car (car a) I am insured on it fully comp thru (insurance company 1)

My partners car (car B) I am main driver on and he is additional driver as I aim to use his car for work so id be using it more, and we are both insured by (company 2)

Oh right, well in that case I'm not sure (sorry) as he is an additional driver and it is not his own policy, you would need to look at the policy to see if the additional driver can drive other cars...sure theyll tell you if you phone them :)

I read that as your partner cant drive car A, they aren’t named and its not their policy, are you saying that your partner doesn’t have a policy in their own name.

You need to check your policy details but if he is just a named driver on his car then I would not assume he can drive yours, he does not really have his own insurance.

On a seperate note - as it currently stands :-

Your car is in your name and you are the main driver.

His car is in his name and you are the main driver and he is just an additional driver.

You want to be careful, that sort of think can leave your insurance void!

Archived