Car Insurance question

You need to check your policy details but if he is just a named driver on his car then I would not assume he can drive yours, he does not really have his own insurance.

On a seperate note - as it currently stands :-

Your car is in your name and you are the main driver.

His car is in his name and you are the main driver and he is just an additional driver.

You want to be careful, that sort of think can leave your insurance void!

no we are getting the car put into my name as i will probably end up driving it the most

I read that as your partner cant drive car A, they aren’t named and its not their policy, are you saying that your partner doesn’t have a policy in their own name.

Does the 2nd policy not become his? or are we best getting the policy for him and adding me?

Would i be better being the additional driver on his car? I am so confused with it all. He has only just passed his test though so i dont know if id be driving it most. But he is the actually named owner if that makes sense

Sounds like fronting to me :suspect:, if you truly are the main driver there isn’t a problem, from what you have said you can drive car A ( your policy) , you both can drive car B ( your policy with him as named driver), your partner doesn’t have a policy.

Let me try and explain alittle better. My car (car a) I am insured on it fully comp thru (insurance company 1)

My partners car (car B) I am main driver on and he is additional driver as I aim to use his car for work so id be using it more, and we are both insured by (company 2)

So we have a joint policy for car B and I have a policy for me for car A.

So can we both drive both cars and what cover would we have?

Doubtful, if your husband is only a named driver I would be very surprised if he has third party extension cover (this is the thing you need to drive another's car) included as part of that.

You need to ring up the insurance company 2 and ask, does he have third part extension cover. If the answer is no, he can only drive car B and not car A.

If he had a fully comp policy on car B in his name, and you had your fully comp policy on car A, then you would most likely be able to each drive the other's cars as normally people over 25 get third part extension cover as part of a fully comp policy.

Really you need to ring and speak to the insurers - third part extension cover is the thing you're both after having, unless you want to have each other as named drivers on each other's policies.

Sounds like fronting to me :suspect:, if you truly are the main driver there isn’t a problem, from what you have said you can drive car A ( your policy) , you both can drive car B ( your policy with him as named driver), your partner doesn’t have a policy.

I have a 1.8 and I use my car for work as I am a domiciliary worker. so i am planning on using my partners as his is a 1.2 that way it will be cheaper for me.. Therefore we believe i will be the main driver of it. So have we done the insurance correct or would he be better getting the policy for him and me sticking with my 1.8

Doubtful, if your husband is only a named driver I would be very surprised if he has third party extension cover (this is the thing you need to drive another's car) included as part of that.

You need to ring up the insurance company 2 and ask, does he have third part extension cover. If the answer is no, he can only drive car B and not car A.

If he had a fully comp policy on car B in his name, and you had your fully comp policy on car A, then you would most likely be able to each drive the other's cars as normally people over 25 get third part extension cover as part of a fully comp policy.

Really you need to ring and speak to the insurers - third part extension cover is the thing you're both after having, unless you want to have each other as named drivers on each other's policies.

Can we pay extra to get this cover if needed?

If your going to drive the 1.2 more, insure yourself fully comp on it, then insure your partner fully comp on the 1.8, if the policy allows you can drive each others cars as long as you dont become the main % driver of the other car.

As it is you have a crash and the insurance company look into it, they will smell a rat and try anything to get out of paying, be very careful.

I have a 1.8 and I use my car for work as I am a domiciliary worker. so i am planning on using my partners as his is a 1.2 that way it will be cheaper for me.. Therefore we believe i will be the main driver of it. So have we done the insurance correct or would he be better getting the policy for him and me sticking with my 1.8

Only you will know that, like I said earlier it sounds like you can drive car A and car B, he can only drive car B, is that the cover that you need , you may also like to consider :-

Putting a “new” driver on the policy of a 1.8 car is going to be expensive.

While ever he is a named driver he isn’t earning any no claims in his own right.

From the link I quoted.

Sure, you run the risks of having your claim turned down if you ever make one and get 6 points on your license for fronting and also being charged with 'driving without car insurance', but is it financially worth all these risks?

Archived