Should I let my daughter do the course she wants?

if she does the business studies and then goes and does the hair/beauty training as a mature student....would she be in a better business position to perhaps open her own salon?

that would need vocational training, but the academic side could prove very useful too, and would always be a fall back if she changed her mind about the career she wants to pursue.

x

I think at 16 you are far too young to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. I went to Sixth form and studied an area that no longer interests me since becoming a mum, so I basically wasted two years of my life. The A-levels rarely get you a job unless you carry on to Uni after. Saying this, a few friends from school went on to study Hair and beauty and enjoyed it but couldn't get work after so went on to find work elsewhere.

I agree 16 is far too young to decide a career path. She will probably change her mind 2 or 3 times before she finally decides.

if she does the business studies and then goes and does the hair/beauty training as a mature student....would she be in a better business position to perhaps open her own salon?

that would need vocational training, but the academic side could prove very useful too, and would always be a fall back if she changed her mind about the career she wants to pursue.

x

Sensible advice given here. Business Studies was called The Golden Degree, and still is. It can lead to so many different jobs.

I would let her choose her own route , I was forced into going to uni , only to end up with a pointless degree and lots of debt,fair enough I did spend years in management which I might not have done had I not had the degree but it didn't make me happy,and like you've said she could always go to Uni at a later point.Agree though that she would be best getting her A levels behing her before deciding.

F

oooh, just another question...has your daughter worked in hair/beauty?

how about a compromise....she carries on with her studies, but on the proviso that she gets a saturday job as a salon helper.

that way she can gain some experience, see it if it really is for her (and gets to experience allergic reactions to colours, lots of sweeping up, making tea and nasty skin complaints due to hands being wet lots), maybe earn a bit of extra money....but still have the qualifications behind her too.

you never know, the opportunity to get the work experience may work in your favour if you are still set against it, but your daughter will be able to make an informed choice for herself rather than one as a result of pressure either from you or her peers....which she may regret or resent in the long run.

like another poster said, lectures dont work....i remember all too well myself from my arguments with my parents (which they won in the end! lol). however, when they had those arguments with my brother, he had me and the art of compromise on his side and things went a lot smoother.

x

Shes too young to decide what she wants to do, she needs a levels first, also she could work in a salon part time and learn then decide...i would step up to the mark as a parent and stop her making a stupid mistake.

so she leaves school in a couple of months? I reckon she should see it through and then maybe consider her options. However, you and the school have to put no pressure whatsoever on her with regard to these a-levels. Part of me makes me wonder if fear of failure (and by this I mean not getting the targetted A*'s, rather than fail grades) is making her bale out.

In terms of career, I reckon her choice should be supported. Unless my kids have a real academic bent, I wouldnt advise higher education at the moment. Many graduates are unemployed or working in low paid jobs. The days of job guarantees via the Uni milkrounds are behind us. Plus they are likely to be saddled with £50k debt, starting work, which will be a long-term hinderance.

My advice would be to do the A-L's and then to embark on a trade of her choice, one that inspires and makes her want to go to work.

Darth Vader has some good ideas by writing things down and discussing them openly.

I think the debate between academic and vocational are so biased and it depends on what government is in power as to what is in favour.

As people have stated already I think the best advice is to let your daughter decide for herself through rational decision making. Try not to make it emotional otherwise it can skew the results one way or another. It is a big decision to make at 16 what route you want to take.

Whichever route she decides it is possible to keep other options open. If she goes down the academic route, and doesn't like it, with the way the new system works she can get as levels after a year and then swap to hairdressing. I am not sure if there is a similar option after one year of doing hairdressing, perhaps something to discuss with the college? If there isn't that option, perhaps her best bet is to commit to a year of A levels. If she really hates it she can swap to hairdressing, and still have some academic qualifications done...

just my ideas for you.

Archived