Should I let my daughter do the course she wants?

so she leaves school in a couple of months? I reckon she should see it through and then maybe consider her options. However, you and the school have to put no pressure whatsoever on her with regard to these a-levels. Part of me makes me wonder if fear of failure (and by this I mean not getting the targetted A*'s, rather than fail grades) is making her bale out.

In terms of career, I reckon her choice should be supported. Unless my kids have a real academic bent, I wouldnt advise higher education at the moment. Many graduates are unemployed or working in low paid jobs. The days of job guarantees via the Uni milkrounds are behind us. Plus they are likely to be saddled with £50k debt, starting work, which will be a long-term hinderance.

My advice would be to do the A-L's and then to embark on a trade of her choice, one that inspires and makes her want to go to work.

Darth Vader has some good ideas by writing things down and discussing them openly.

If its bad for Uni graduates its even worse for those without qualifications.

Higher education is still the way to go for the better jobs, its just young people need to be better informed of the course choices and what lies ahead post graduation.

Please do not let her take one of these silly vocational courses. I know the dangers as i did once myself.

They are ridiculously easy to pass but mean diddly squat. You then get to 22 or so (my age) and realise that you need to re-do your a levels and degree in order to get somewhere worthwhile.

If she is good at maths then this is a blessing and make sure she knows this!

If its bad for Uni graduates its even worse for those without qualifications.
so true, but the former will have the added burden of huuuge debts, for, in many cases, a BA in softology.

Higher education is still the way to go for the better jobs, its just young people need to be better informed of the course choices and what lies ahead post graduation.
again, true, but for only a proportion. Many, many graduates have no jobs, and resort to working bars/tills. Might as well get an added 3 or 4 years doing such a job and if you're true management potential, you'll have moved up and off that job anyhow.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I wont force her to do anything but will try and encourage her to stick with her A levels and see how they go, and as someone suggested if she still is not enjoying it to maybe look into the hairdressing at a later date.

I just don't want her to have to go through what I did as a mature student when she can get all her qualifications now while she's young and its all fresh in her mind.

Hopefully she will make the right decision (with a little help)

:)

I agree with Darth Vader and Sophiec1979 regarding the Saturday/part-time job to see if it really is for her while she finishes her A Levels. I was very certain I wanted to be a pharmacist when I was around her age, so got a Saturday job in a pharmacy. After a few months it became clear to me that I would not enjoy the job at all. It would have been a 'costly' mistake (in terms of time and money) had I decided to study to be a pharmacist only to find out when I started work that it wasn't for me.

Good luck with this, and try not to put too much pressure on her, 16 is so young to have to make such a huge decision. I've always thought we live life the wrong way around - we should all have retirement first to enjoy it while young and able bodied, and then go on to study - we'd be more likely to know what we want to do when a bit older and (presumably) more responsible so more likely to be a good student. And then work till we drop to pay off the pension we enjoyed! :hihi:

But on theother hand if you let her do the course she wants and is happy rather than force her to do something she hates.Whats to stop her doing the Uni thing later? I had a few jobs when i was younger and no interest in going higher,I eventually did my degree at 42 after i had children so it didnt hurt me waiting to get qualifications,i had some horrible jobs though working at Bassetts factory ughhhhhh i hated it,but it stood me in good stead

I totally agree .. and the more you push her into something she doesn't want to do at the age she is, the more she will rebel methinks.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I wont force her to do anything but will try and encourage her to stick with her A levels and see how they go, and as someone suggested if she still is not enjoying it to maybe look into the hairdressing at a later date.

I just don't want her to have to go through what I did as a mature student when she can get all her qualifications now while she's young and its all fresh in her mind.

Hopefully she will make the right decision (with a little help)

:)

Maybe offer her a carrot? Kids can get a little down/bored with academia. Offer her a holiday with just you and a friend of hers, or 2 tickets to a gig. As has been mentioned, find her a job in a hairdressers (that'll probably kick her into touch:hihi:)

Not sure if this has been said but it is a lot easier to get onto hairdressing as a mature student therefore she has the opportunity to complete A levels in a number of subject areas which will leave wider choice for university and do hairdressing afterwards... Maybe a good idea to look at uni options on ucas and see what is required for the courses she is interested in as it can become very confusing! Pm me if you would like any guidance with ucas etc as I find careers advisors to be as equally confused as the students x

I have two veiws on this;

1) Let her do the course. My sister studied hair and beauty and worked through the ranks in the UK, eventually working abroad. She now lives in New Zealand after setting up two salons for other people she decided to have a change and now teaches hair and beauty in a college whilst studying for the teaching qualifications. so basically does the same as me who went the traditional, school, A levels, science degree, teaching.

2) Tell her to stick to the A levels. My friend is a optician so went the school, A level, degree route, she earns enough to just work 4 days a week and studied hair and beauty at college in her spare time and does it as a small business so has acheived both things :)

Good luck :) Hair and beauty is know for long hours when you are training and at the bottom of the pile so maybe getting a saturday job will make her think again!

Archived