Should I let my daughter do the course she wants?

Now the children take their own decision of their future.If she is committed to what she wants to become let her do that. There are many opportunities available in abroad studies. Ask her to make use of these opportunities and get the best of it.

My daughter leaves school this year, she has predicted A's and A* and already has an A in maths (which she completed last year) and therefore this year has basically done half an A level in maths also.

She applied to do her A levels in maths, business studies etc (maybe due to my encouragement) and was planning to then go onto university.

Now today she suddenly tells me she doesn't want to do her A levels, she wants to do a course in hair and beauty. I'm really not happy, I've looked at the courses and the entry requirements are 4 Case's at grade E or above. Just seems like such a waste when she will have all these qualifications on leaving school.

Am I wrong in wanting her to do her A levels or should I leave her to choose what she wants to do?

Just let her do what she wants, it is not about you let them make their own mistakes it is the only way they learn.

She might prove you wrong leave her alone to make her own decisions, qualifications are not a ticket to success it is the person

My daughter leaves school this year, she has predicted A's and A* and already has an A in maths (which she completed last year) and therefore this year has basically done half an A level in maths also.

She applied to do her A levels in maths, business studies etc (maybe due to my encouragement) and was planning to then go onto university.

Now today she suddenly tells me she doesnt want to do her A levels, she wants to do a course in hair and beauty. I'm really not happy, I've looked at the courses and the entry requirements are 4 GCSE's at grade E or above. Just seems like such a waste when she will have all these qualifications on leaving school.

Am I wrong in wanting her to do her A levels or should I leave her to choose what she wants to do?

Let her do what she wants. As long as she gets good results on her A-Levels she can always go to uni further down the line when / if she actually wants to.

there is more funding availability for her age and it diminishes at 18 19 , im 21 and wish i did the childcare course at these ages as its ore difficult now for me to get into it and afford it.

she can always go back o apply to colleges unis at any age but on the other hand i think it would be wise to do the a levels ,as they may be aid her future as unis have more requirements upon entry; if ever she wanted to do more eg to open her own business and go further into the beauty hairdressing career path?

if she was my daughter id say do your a levels love your future will be more promising its two years then you can go down into what ever line you want to as you have more opportunity with more education and qualifications

Let her do hair and beauty, it always something to fall back on, people are never gonna stop wanting their hair cut. Unforunately that kind of career tends to be selective with her own situation, maybe slim and pretty that kind of thing.

The other thing that's not been mentioned here is the apprenticeship route. Apprenticeships enable people to work and learn at the same time and the qualification levels can be high. Add to that no debt, and the argument is definitely worth thinking about.

Connexions at Star House will tell your daughter about Apprenticeships, it's got to be worth checking them out.

The other possible way forward is tho get her to think about what she really wanted from work. Is high level status important to her? Does she want to be her own boss? Is she committed to hair and beauty and if so, what has she done to check it out? Trying to get her to think about what her life could look like 5 yrs or even 10 yrs hence could help her to start thinking beyond the here and now.

Now today she suddenly tells me she doesnt want to do her A levels, she wants to do a course in hair and beauty. I'm really not happy, I've looked at the courses and the entry requirements are 4 GCSE's at grade E or above. Just seems like such a waste when she will have all these qualifications on leaving school.

She will bitterly regret not doing her a levels in a couple of years time - but she may do them then when she is ready... She may be feeling a little 'burned out' by all the work she has done, and needs a rest, taking a course where she doesn't have to think? Or perhaps her mates aren't as bright, and she wants to seem more like them???

Show her the rates of pay for a hairdresser (min wage unless you own your own salon) against even a basic comp school maths teacher (for instance) and see how she would rather live in future?

It is her mistake to make though - and she could always return to education as a mature student in the future... I am guessing she either has dim friends who she wants to keep in with, or she's just feeling the strain of all the work she has had to put in...

The other thing that's not been mentioned here is the apprenticeship route. Apprenticeships enable people to work and learn at the same time and the qualification levels can be high. Add to that no debt, and the argument is definitely worth thinking about.

Connexions at Star House will tell your daughter about Apprenticeships, it's got to be worth checking them out.

The other possible way forward is tho get her to think about what she really wanted from work. Is high level status important to her? Does she want to be her own boss? Is she committed to hair and beauty and if so, what has she done to check it out? Trying to get her to think about what her life could look like 5 yrs or even 10 yrs hence could help her to start thinking beyond the here and now.

Looking at what vacancies are available locally on the national apprenticeship website may be useful, as Connexions will tell you what programmes are available in general a lot of the time, when most of the vacancies are childcare and hairdressing! Low end jobs where the prospects for the future are limited...

Archived