Should I let my daughter do the course she wants?

My daughter leaves school this year, she has predicted A's and A* and already has an A in maths (which she completed last year) and therefore this year has basically done half an A level in maths also.

She applied to do her A levels in maths, business studies etc (maybe due to my encouragement) and was planning to then go onto university.

Now today she suddenly tells me she doesnt want to do her A levels, she wants to do a course in hair and beauty. I'm really not happy, I've looked at the courses and the entry requirements are 4 GCSE's at grade E or above. Just seems like such a waste when she will have all these qualifications on leaving school.

Am I wrong in wanting her to do her A levels or should I leave her to choose what she wants to do?

My daughter is going to do public service course I tried to talk her out of it, I thought she was more suited to Hair and Beauty course but no she wanted to public services and has got on the course.

As long as your daughter is happy its her life after all.

I think you should leave her to do the course she wants to be honest, she may resent you if she ends up doing A levels that she doesnt really want to do..and she may end up being succesful in the hair and beauty industry anyway. Surely its best she does a course that she is enthusiastic about and interested in, even though the requirements are less than she is capable of.

My daughter is going to do public service course I tried to talk her out of it, I thought she was more suited to Hair and Beauty course but no she wanted to public services and has got on the course.

As long as your daughter is happy its her life after all.

But with public service your daughter is aiming higher than you expected her to, as this is a entry requirement for the forces and the police - loads more cash and better prospects than hairdressing...

I can see why the OP would be disappointed that her daughter is aiming lower than expected...

my daughter did an H and B course We kept her for 3 years aged 17-20.

At the end of it she couldn't find a decent paid job using her qualification and went into a newspaper office selling ads (successfully).

A waste of 3 years!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think any parent has a right to talk a child ( teen aged 16+) out of anything. For 1) it's THEIR life's their old enough to have sex and smoke.

They are old enough to make their own choices on career moves ect.

2) I always encourage my kids to have their own opinions/decisions/ make their own mistakes. We ain't always gonna be around to wipe their backsides for them.

And

3) if you chose your child's path or change their choices ect. They will only resent you for it in the long run.

Hope they all do well though and achieve their dream.

Archived