Benefits crackdown

What's your evidence for that claim - or are you making it up?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=517238&in_page_id=2

My mistake, I said 7 out of 10 but it's actually a little higher. 75% of incapacity benefit claimants are fit for work!

I wonder how many of them will be asked to pay back the incapacity benefits they've already fraudulently claimed?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=517238&in_page_id=2

My mistake, I said 7 out of 10 but it's actually a little higher. 75% of incapacity benefit claimants are fit for work!

I wonder how many of them will be asked to pay back the incapacity benefits they've already fraudulently claimed?

The report was about new claimants so I would imagine they would not have anything to pay back unless they received the benefit before they actually applied.

The article suggests that, based on these figures, then out of 2.6million, as few as just 650,000 could be genuine.

Even if that was true (which it isn't, because it is using two sets of statistics with differing criteria and drawing a conclusion about one from the information found in the other), then do you really think David Cameron would be happy to preside over a policy that puts another 2million on the unemployment figures overnight?

The article says:

"Three-quarters of people who applied for new benefits for the long-term sick failed tests to prove they were too ill to work."

It applies to new claims under new rules and not existing claims under old rules so the figures are very misleading.

Also its not fraud as you suggest just a new testing criteria is being used to asses people.

I would and I know that the amount lost in tax avoidance is 3 or 4 times higher than that sponged by street rats. They are two sides of the same coin, parasites at the extreme ends of society.

Personally I'd like to see a government announce the end to all benefits in 5 years except for the disabled. If you are fit to work and mentally capable of working out when you can afford to have a baby then you should be responsible for your own life. I would say that non disabled people could apply for benefits but they would have to pass an interview with questions like:

"so Miss Smith you knew your job would not pay for you to have a child so why did you have one?"

and should end with

"you are over 18 and not mentally deficient therefore there is no reason to give you any money. You can live with your parents and your family will pay for your child".

I bet the Labour lefties on here would see you burn in hell for comments like that!......................well said!

I would and I know that the amount lost in tax avoidance is 3 or 4 times higher than that sponged by street rats. They are two sides of the same coin, parasites at the extreme ends of society.

Personally I'd like to see a government announce the end to all benefits in 5 years except for the disabled. If you are fit to work and mentally capable of working out when you can afford to have a baby then you should be responsible for your own life. I would say that non disabled people could apply for benefits but they would have to pass an interview with questions like:

"so Miss Smith you knew your job would not pay for you to have a child so why did you have one?"

and should end with

"you are over 18 and not mentally deficient therefore there is no reason to give you any money. You can live with your parents and your family will pay for your child".

You've underestimated the amount lost through tax fraud - the total for those defrauding HMRC costs at least 15 times more than those defrauding DWP.

And that says is all doesn't it,its time the lazy sods got whats coming to them.

I think partly the reason that there are lots of people claiming incapacity benefit when they are fit for work is that its about £30 more a week that the JSA which is £65. It don't take a rocket scientist to work that out.

I agree that there should be more stringent tests but as ever with benefit claimants there will be winners and losers.

And that says is all doesn't it,its time the lazy sods got whats coming to them.

Your missing the point, for some people ging to work is not a lifestyle option.

How can someone who needs to bang doors until 4am in the morning, be expercted to get out of bed at 5am to do a days work? what about beer gardens etc....

When are we supposed to get our sleep?

Your missing the point, for some people ging to work is not a lifestyle option.

How can someone who needs to bang doors until 4am in the morning, be expercted to get out of bed at 5am to do a days work? what about beer gardens etc....

When are we supposed to get our sleep?

What about beer gardens? They'll still be there when you wake up.

Archived