Brazilian jiujitsu classes/training

Truebjj

Hi all,

Good to see so much talk about local ma schools.

This may have been covered previously but i'm a newbie!

A number of clubs are advertising bjj and i wanted to know to what degree this was?

ie What belt they had, who's their coach. Is it from books they've read, seminars they have attended or are they having regular tutoring?

Bjj is the thing of the moment and good for advertising, i just wondered the qualifications they had to teach before training with them.

Thanks for any info

Hi TRueBJJ,

I run the Royce Gracie Jiu-jitsu school in Dronfield near Sheffield.

We are approved by Royce personally and are part of his network. You will find us on the Royce Gracie official website under international schools.

We are always loking for new friends to rain with and you are more than welcome. We train Monday nights and some times wednesdays.

Give me a call or send me a text on 07896-330037 and I will call you back and answer any questions you have. If you have an e mail address text that thru and i will e mail directions etc

Its good to know people are interested in BJJ

kind regards

Steve

Hi steve,

There is also Gracie Barra Sheffield, if you want any more info please contact John Goldson.

Submission wrestling, gi and no gi. Fun club, good enviroment to train, both beginners and advanced students welcome.

The qualifications needed to teach BJJ are different depending on the club/team you want to teach for, As for BARRA you need to have a Barra blue belt, be assest by a BJJ blackbelt (There are 6 barra blackbelts in the uk i think but dont quote me on that) that you are able to teach to a good standard.

Coaches also have to under go regular assesment from a black or brown belt, to ensure a high standard.

GRACIE BARRA SHEFFIELD,

MON- 6-730 /WED- 6-8

Lessons £5---- first one's free

Instructor: Jon Goldson

Mobile: 07834 61 58 96

Email: goldson75@hotmail.com

393 Langsett Road, Hillsborough,

Sheffield,, S6

"organised like a team... fight like a family"

:thumbsup:

Also check out http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66015

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that,

I'm know the two schools very well (RG & Barra). When I said I was a newbie I was talking more about posting. Sorry.

I get the impression there ARE only two bjj instuctors with the official back up from major organisations to teach bjj locally but this doesn't mean they are the most qualified to teach. Just wanted to know if there was a dark horse out there who was more qualified but didn't have the name.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Truebjj

Thanks for that,

I'm know the two schools very well (RG & Barra). When I said I was a newbie I was talking more about posting. Sorry.

I get the impression there ARE only two bjj instuctors with the official back up from major organisations to teach bjj locally but this doesn't mean they are the most qualified to teach. Just wanted to know if there was a dark horse out there who was more qualified but didn't have the name.

Thanks again.

In your original post you enquired about 'a number of clubs advertising BJJ' and 'to what degree this was'.

The only clubs that have done so on the forum to my knowledge are Gracie Barra and RGJJN, but you say you know both these well, so i'm afraid you've totally lost me...

Brian Aiken has advertised is club but referred to what he teaches as 'grappling'.

i think TrueBjj means that BJJ is a popular thing to throw around, i have seen some posts on here saying that a club uses techniques from BJJ.

This doen't make them a BJJ club but, it does hint towards it without saying it outright, now technicaly theres nothing wrong with that, and before anyone starts off on one.. i know that people are free to train using any and all techniques from "the book" as it were.

For example;- A club uses submissions, now none of these subs are outrightly from BJJ, they have been around for years. but to try and sell there club a bit better, someone may say "we incoparate BJJ moves..."

Its like a karate class calling itself a kickboxing club.... they may be simalar but not the same at all.

i feel that this is more of an ethical problem, as someone could go to that club, learn "BJJ" moves then never get them to work in sparing and think "BJJ sucks, these moves never work"

This then has an effect of negative comments or people not wanting to train BJJ.

Now BJJ is a relatively new martial art, only starting in the last 40-50 years, but it is an effective style and has evloved more in the last 10 years than most "traditional arts" have in the last 100 years.

I have trained traditonal jiu-jitsu, judo and BJJ, now in my opinion BJJ is the more technicaly sound from these grappling based arts.

thanks, i needed to get that off my chest

:thumbsup:

Archived