Brazilian jiujitsu classes/training

Truebjj

I agree BarraGergus, but to be honest i think that can apply to an MA. For instance you could attend any class that for example doesn't suit your own innate abilities or that is poorly taught and think that the art sucks, when in fact it doesn't.

i'm still not sure what TrueBJJ was saying though...

:D

The advantage that i've found with BJJ over Judo (and this is just me and from the clubs i've trained at) is that because BJJ isn't just sport orientated (which the Judo clubs i've trained at were) it takes into consideration the fact that someone might actually want to strike you as you attempt to throw them. Not a huge revelation i know, but an important point in terms of self-defence. I've also found a better split in terms of groundwork/standing work. The Judo clubs i trained at spent about 10% of the time on groundwork (if that), while the RGJJN club at Dronfield is anything between 50/50 - 75/25 (groundwork/standing).

Hi,

Just wanted to know to what extent peoples knowledge of bjj went.

Brian mentions Gracie Barra connections; a guy teaching a source mentions bjj etc.

You yourself have a Brazilian flag and royce gracie website at the bottom of your posts, you could be a black belt living two doors from me and i wouldn't know.

I only wish to expand my knowledge of bjj and there may have been someone on here qualified to do so.

If its only the royce club and barra i stick with what i'm doing.

Well i don't think there's any thing happening re: BJJ in Sheffield that you don't appear to know about, certainly not what i'm aware of. The RGJJN and Barra are the only two clubs that i know are affilaited to major organisations. Brian Aiken mentioned the possibility of becoming affilaited with Barra and i believe Mark Hayes (JKD at the source) has trained with some high level names in BJJ, but i have no idea to what extent or how much BJJ stuff he does. I think another person has posted on here re: some kind of grappling that involves some BJJ stuff, but it wasn't clear and he gave a vague explanation when questioned.

I only wish i was a blackbelt. I love BJJ at the club i currently train at. I've tried it before and didn't like it so much (but enough to make me look again). i Think it's as much to do with finding a good club that suits you as well as a good art that suits you.

Sorry if i sounded at all adversarial, i just wasn't sure where you were coming from (i'm quite clear now) ;)

Hi guys just to clear things up and i know no one has said it yet,

but i don't think i have ever claimed to teach BJJ i teach a mix of grappling to go with my Jun Fan/JKD and Kali to extend the Grappling already in Jun Fan/JKD and Kali, My Grappling comes from differant methods from Judo,BJJ, Shoot as well as JKD/KALI.

Anvil you are right that i have trained with some high level names in BJJ but i have for my JKD and Kali, i always try and train with the best people i can even it means going to States to train which i try and do every year,

some of my Grappling instructors have been

Mark McFann, Larry Hartsell, Dan Inosanto, Richard Bustillo,

Renzo Gracie, Royce Gracie, John Machado, Rigan Machado

Dino Cherem(a Del La Riva Black Belt)

can't forget Rick Young, there are others, some of the names i know you will know, but all i can say is that they are all qaulity Martial artists with no ego,which is the way that it should be.

Train hard, train safe

Mark

Mark

I think i remember you (or someone else) saying that you'd trained with some well known names in BJJ. I think perhaps the philosphy of JKD lends itself to training with respected martial artists in many disciplines, and IMO it's a great philosophy. I think many people become attached to their own chosen art to the point where they can't see the weaknesses that are inherent, but cross training IMO both acknowledges weaknesses and displays an open mind (among other things). I think i mentioned this in another post (or maybe earlier in this one!), but i've always used the 'take what is useful' philosophy as much as possible. The arts and clubs that i've found i prefer are the ones that allow the flexibility to do that, for example the BJJ club that i'm currently training at allows me to discard or adapt what i don't find useful, but another club that i trained at (not BJJ) had a rigid syallabus that was not conducive to discarding what was (for me) useless.

P.S. Is Rick Young a JKD guy? i know that not long ago he was one of a group of people to be the first UK players to get blackbelts in BJJ - quite an achievement.

Anvil, Is Rick Young a JKD guy.

Only one of the best !!!! JKD guys i have seen in the UK,or anywhere

I think Rick started JKD back in 79/80, he is also one of the best Martial artist's I have ever had the chance to train with, and bring to Sheffield for seminars, I might be wrong but i think Rick was one of the first from the UK to train BJJ in the USA,I know he started BJJ with Rickson Gracie when he was still teaching from his Garage,(a lot of the JKD guys were doing this to enhance the grappling skills they had)

Rick was one of 3 to get his Black belt in BJJ, i know he has Dan grades in Karate and Judo as well.

your right about using things from other arts, as Bruce Lee said

"The truth in combat is different for EACH INDIVIDUAL

1 Research your own experiences for the truth

2 Absorb what is useful

3 Reject what is useless

4 Add specifically what is your own"

For me i try and train with the best that i can even it means traveling, too many people settle for the club next door, maybe ending up training in what was going to be thier second choice for training so they dont have to make an effort in getting there.

I think all Martial arts should have Syallabus as a guide but the students should not be bound by it.

Train Hard, Train Safe

jay_kd

A quick question for you do you think people miss interpret

"The truth in combat is different for EACH INDIVIDUAL

1 Research your own experiences for the truth

2 Absorb what is useful

3 Reject what is useless

4 Add specifically what is your own"

I know a lot of people only teach what they think would work for them but are not too concerned about what would work for others.

I know there are a lot of different variations of lets say wing chun for example but all yip man did was to teach the individual.

Archived