Would you like to swap an elderly relative?

I have a few elderly relatives in Sheffield, and as I get further away, popping round to do them favours in return for tea and biscuits is becoming increasingly difficult.

So I suppose I best get them swapped.

I want to swap them for some elderly relatives who need the odd errand running or job doing, the day to day tasks that old people struggle with.

Without the funds or time to see my elders, I'm going to end up with a bit of a problem trying to help them out. And so are they.

With families living increasingly further away with each other as people move more often to find work, surely I'm not the only person facing this problem.

Might it be an idea to start swapping our elderly relatives as we move from place to place?

When my grandad was still alive, we were eternally grateful to his next door neighbour for keeping an eye on him for us. One of the family would visit most days but she used to call in on him every evening when she got home from work to check he was OK. She didn't actually do a lot in terms of practical things, because we did his shopping, mowed his grass etc, but just knowing that she'd let us know if anything was wrong gave us great peace of mind.

One winter when the weather was bad she did step in and get his shopping because we couldn't get over. She also used to sometimes give him a plate of dinner if she'd made too much. He was too polite to refuse but told me she was an awful cook and it went straight in the bin :hihi:

When my grandad was still alive, we were eternally grateful to his next door neighbour for keeping an eye on him for us. One of the family would visit most days but she used to call in on him every evening when she got home from work to check he was OK. She didn't actually do a lot in terms of practical things, because we did his shopping, mowed his grass etc, but just knowing that she'd let us know if anything was wrong gave us great peace of mind.

One winter when the weather was bad she did step in and get his shopping because we couldn't get over. She also used to sometimes give him a plate of dinner if she'd made too much. He was too polite to refuse but told me she was an awful cook and it went straight in the bin :hihi:

That's nice to hear.

Where I used to live we had elderly (to us) neighbours, as a child they would look after us. In their old age, we have looked after them. We all have keys to each others houses! The old man passed on, but his wife is still going 10 years on, somewhat independent but struggling. Alzheimer's, arthritis are all taking their toll. She has forget her family recently at times, but not her neighbours (other neighbours help her too, you see). Recently she has took a turn for the worse, a few slips and falls about the house at 90 plus, round the clock care will soon be needed I suppose. The best neighbour you could ever wish for, bless her.

Can you swap em for like..Stuff? Like I give you my elderly relatives and you give me a new car or summat?:hihi:

I've started this thread to introduce the concept of Fureai Kippu.

I'm not in the position to give my elderly relative an hour of my time, but I am able to give my time to an elderly neighbour.

We have an aging population.

We have underemployment, structural unemployment, people volunteering to try and enter the labour market even!

Yet we have work that needs doing and people requiring care.

Fureai Kippu is a concept we should be championing.

Even with full employment it would be a good idea. With unemployment it could be even better. A charitable donation could create a small amount of liquidity, create a job and provide a lifetime of care.

Hi all you young uns, I am fearfully becoming one of those dreaded beings the elderly relative. At the moment I am fit enough to work, but worried what happens in the future. I've got great children that visit when they can and I dont see that changing, the thing most elderly people worry about is becoming a burden to anyone and losing independence.

I live 100 miles from all my older relatives, so my ability to look after any of them are seriously limited. My sister and I are under strict instructions that in the event that either of our parents get infirm and need looking after, we are DEFINITELY NOT to take our time up travelling up and down the motorway to look after them or to sell up and move down there, we're to park them in a nice nursing home and have a good life instead.

Hi all you young uns, I am fearfully becoming one of those dreaded beings the elderly relative. At the moment I am fit enough to work, but worried what happens in the future. I've got great children that visit when they can and I dont see that changing, the thing most elderly people worry about is becoming a burden to anyone and losing independence.

You were happy to help us out when we were young.

I'm happy to help out elders because of that.

It in't a burden, you do an older person a favour and you generally learn something.

My problem is being unable to visit my own elderly relatives.

With Fureai Kippu, I can visit and look after other peoples elderly relatives local to mine and have their grandchildren/children can visit and look after my elderly relatives.

I live 100 miles from all my older relatives, so my ability to look after any of them are seriously limited. My sister and I are under strict instructions that in the event that either of our parents get infirm and need looking after, we are DEFINITELY NOT to take our time up travelling up and down the motorway to look after them or to sell up and move down there, we're to park them in a nice nursing home and have a good life instead.

In a nursing home near you?

Archived