Anyone remember the Boat race.

I remember in the 50's visiting my maternal gran on Cottam Street and once a year being taken to see the start of the University boat race at Hillfoot? bridge and it finished at Lady's bridge. Does it still take place?

Grandma Shepherd lived on Cottam Street now long gone. It was part of the alphabet streets, so called because they went :- Anlaby, Brough, Cottam, Driffield and Eden.

BE

It always followed the Student rag parade finished in the 70`s or 80`s i think ,fell by the wayside along with the rag parade itself and Twicker ,consumed in polical correctness and health and safety no doubt ,like the star walk a thing of the past that used to be things families did together

i use to go to see the boat race my dad use to take me down i think that was in the 80s i did not think it went back that far i was only telling my kids a couple of days ago about it can any one tell us if it is still going on.and the star walk was good

It always followed the Student rag parade finished in the 70`s or 80`s i think ,fell by the wayside along with the rag parade itself and Twicker ,consumed in polical correctness and health and safety no doubt ,like the star walk a thing of the past that used to be things families did together

Very sad. These events brought the city together and all the proceeds went to charity.

I remember only the one, it must have been about 1985. My Dad's office had got a team together. Think they sank! My main memory of it was the colour of the river, very orange, guess there was still some industry along the banks back then, but also of seeing my first kingfisher.

The water seems much cleaner nowadays and you often see trout swimming, but would be great to see the boat race revived! ...and the water seems more appealing to fall into!

• 2 weeks later...
I remember in the 50's visiting my maternal gran on Cottam Street and once a year being taken to see the start of the University boat race at Hillfoot? bridge and it finished at Lady's bridge. Does it still take place?

Grandma Shepherd lived on Cottam Street now long gone. It was part of the alphabet streets, so called because they went :- Anlaby, Brough, Cottam, Driffield and Eden.

BE

i remember the boat race in the 50s and used to go to ladys bridge to watch it unfortuatly the race does not happen any more

Sad that the Rag Parade and the boat race are no more. My dad took me to see them both and it seemed a typical Sheffield thing. The parade was great fun to watch and though not many finished the boat race it was great to see the weird boats and even weirder students manning them.

Happy times , long gone !!!!!

Nice memories of the rag boat race. My granparents lived on the ABC streets they lived at 33 Driffield Street. We used to watch from Hillfoot near to where Osbourne Mushet Tools were. Great days all for student and Sheffield charities. Also we always got a copy of the Twicker magazine.

Archived