Basic funeral costs?

has anyone recently organised a basic funeral?

i need to know how much i should be paying for one asap before i commit to a particular undertaker.

help please.

Depends on how much you like the person you're going to bury :)

We had my ex mother in law cremated last year.

If I remember correctly it was about £1600 - that was for the coffin, hearse, one car, the actual cremation and notification in the paper..

Not sure of your circumstances, but if the person who died was claiming benefit, you can claim a grant towards the cost of the funeral.....

We had my ex mother in law cremated last year.

If I remember correctly it was about £1600 - that was for the coffin, hearse, one car, the actual cremation and notification in the paper..

Not sure of your circumstances, but if the person who died was claiming benefit, you can claim a grant towards the cost of the funeral.....

I don't know the in's and out's of this but is the grant only for the next of kins who are arranging the funeral have to be on benefits? I know I have put kins in plural because I have heard that second or third etc childrens income is taken into account.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

Just had to arrange a very basic funeral for elderly relative. Burial service with bare minimum stuff cost £3020 including the council's obscene burial fees and additional charge for scattering another relatives ashes around the grave.

Cost aside though used John Fairest at Wadsley Bridge - very good service.

We used peace funerals, who gave fantastic service, Dec 2010 , so very recent . It cost £3,700... for everything - fees, notices, coffin, hire of hall, minister , flowers etc etc. We don't get any benefits, but I was allowed £2,000, I believe its in lieu of state pension? Hope that's helpful, oh ours was an environmental funeral, which probably made it a little more expensive.

Archived