37 members have voted

1. 1. How often are you standing for the National Anthem

• Never!
    • once a year
    • 4-12 times a year
    • 2-3 times a month
    • 1-3 times a week
    • 4-7 times a week

I don't mind the tune too much, because it's pretty instantly recognisable.

I really object to the awful, grovelling, cringeworthy words though. They are a downright embarassment to national pride.

When its played at a sporting event, be it before a game/match of whatever, or on the odd occasion a Brit stands on top of the medal rostrum, it almost makes you wish we'd come second...

I say keep the tune, but replace the words with ones which celebrate the nation's natural beauty and the people. Rather than grovelling over one person who is there by accident of birth.

I only posted this because as an apathetic republican (don't really believe in monarchy but don't really care enough to feel the status quo is unsatisfactory) I hear this tune (without the words) almost every day and have done for some time.

If you dig up a thread on the national anthem from 7 or 8 years ago, you'll see me arguing (yeah really!) that it's horrible and funereal and all that.

I think 8 years of listening to it almost every night have changed my mind.

I'm not even British, but it struck me that in spite of all its failings and connotations, in spite of the anachronism of royalty and nobility, it's a really significant and important thing working on a mundane level.

The standing up thing was really just for fun. I happen to stand up for the anthem every day because it's broadcast when I'm loading the dishwasher.

A part of me likes that little ritual and continuity.

The standing up thing was really just for fun. I happen to stand up for the anthem every day because it's broadcast when I'm loading the dishwasher.

A part of me likes that little ritual and continuity.

Is this a Radio 4 thing? I haven't heard the National Anthem broadcast for a long time, but the BBC used to end their daily TV transmission with the anthem, around midnight.

The national anthem is a most depressing piece of music. Let have an anthem with a bit of get up and go. The national anthem we currently have makes you want to slit your wrists its that boring, no woonder our sportsmen never do well if they have to liosten to that before an event

Is this a Radio 4 thing? I haven't heard the National Anthem broadcast for a long time, but the BBC used to end their daily TV transmission with the anthem, around midnight.

Yeah, Radio 4 still churn it out about midnight...

Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second is the only person on the entire planet that can eat a medium sized pickled onion through a tennis racket, in less than 14 seconds. She still manages to look simply marvellous whilst doing so. If that doesn't deserve respect, then I will go to foot of our stairs.

What I want to know is why we have to send her fruit. She keeps asking us to send her Victorias:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I always thought that meant Victoria's knickers, there must be a stock of em left over in the palace somewhere, handy if our gracious queen runs out of her victoria's secrets lacy thongs.

I wouldn't stand for the national(monarchist) anthem if my chair was on fire.

like the marseilles though, great rousing tune, sounds even better when 'cantona, cantona....' sung to it.

Archived