Anybody had this phone call?

On Monday I had a call, saying that my address had come up saying that someone in my house hold had worked in industry. The guy asked if I had, to which I replied yes. He went on to tell me about if you had worked in industry you can have a free hearing test, and that if your hearing was 'down' you can claim between £500 & £5000. Im supposed to be going for a test tomorrow at SUFC ground, but, I was wondering if it is some kind of con or waste of time. I was told it would be free. Anybody else had this call?

Also had the same call yesterday. I never disclose any details in calls such as this, I don't even answer positively when they say the name of the person they're expecting to answer the phone. When I ask who they are they invariably put the 'phone down so, in my opinion it's just plain "cold calling".

I'm annoyed at how they get the numbers because I'm ex-directory.

this is about car insurance but you get the idea.

Higher bodily injury claims as the result of outright fraud and efforts of no-win, no-fee lawyers have affected insurers severely, with average underwriting losses of 23p for every pound of premium received.

Ironically my insurance is due and its gone up £90 even though I am 50 and have maximum no-claims ( god knows how First time drivers cope) ah well someone will be getting a “free” holiday out of it. :roll:

Probably worth pointing out that if you love loud music and always stand in front of the speakers so it's loud enough (I've seen people claim that "it's not a good night unless my ears are ringing two days later" / "it was awesome, I still couldn't hear properly the next day"), then when your hearing is damaged, you won't have any recourse to sue the nightclubs / venues / events you have attended. As a member of the public you are allowed to inflict that sort of damage on yourself, the same way as you are allowed to eat too much McDonalds or take up smoking.

Anyone working in the same nightclubs / venues / events has to follow the instructions given by their employer as regards to hearing protection, and if the employer doesn't take precautions the employee may well be able to sue them, despite being in exactly the same conditions as hundreds / thousands of people not wearing any hearing protection.

Archived