Sheffield produces more steel than ever before?

I heard it about 10-15 years ago. It probably is true. Rolling mills don't need men to push girders through, they require a button to be pressed nowadays.
That was a truism whilst the Tinsley Park and Stocksbridge plants were still producing steel but since their demise it is only a myth I'm afraid.:( I have personally seen packaging and containerization and shipping of machinery to India from the Tinsley Park site after the sale to an Indian company.

there's some works on that industrial park near the airport that apparently has no workers at all. It is quite sizable premises. Looking at the building from the street, you'd think that maybe about thirty or fifty people worked there, but when I asked the sandwich man how many people were in there round about lunchtimes, he said there was none really, just a few people that turned up intermittently. It was all mechanized.

It's an often repeated statement that I've heard for at least the last 20 years, but where are the figures for annual steel production in Sheffield per annum?

It could easily be one of those statements that people repeat just assuming them to be true.

I heard it about 10-15 years ago. It probably is true. Rolling mills don't need men to push girders through, they require a button to be pressed nowadays.

Where I used to work they were still doing it by hand when I left in 2003. Afaik they still are, but at a different site (still in Sheffield).

Archived