Do you have angina ?

How were you diagnosed and what tests were done?

can you tell me if the spray helps or not?

I have a friend in Zimbabwe who went to the dr saying she has had pains in her chest , he told her she needed a spray and that was it but to me there has to be more to a diagnosis than this.

I've had it occasionally. I don't use a spray (It occurred infrequently) but my brother has been using a spray for some years and he says it does relieve the pain.

Heart catherisation will show what's wrong. It's painless (more or less) and a fairly quick procedure. You may be kept in hospital overnight to make sure you don't 'spring a leak' and you have to be fairly careful (no strenuous exercise, no heavy lifting, no baths) for a day or two afterwards, but it's a fairly routine procedure.

omg. one of my service users has this, its a small red atomiser bottle, but for the life of me i cant remeber the name of it, but yes, it does work..

It's GTN spray, glycerol trinitrate. My ex has angina, and uses this spray.

It has an effect on the blood vessels, it makes them expand, stopping the cramping in the blood vessels' muscle wall (which is what causes the "a horse and cart just parked on my chest" type pain that comes with the condition.)

I'd strongly guess he means GTN spray (glyceryl trinitrate) which relaxes the the things which supply blood to the heart (coronary arteries) and therefore allows sufficient blood flow to the heart muscle.

What is angina? When the coronary arteries are blocked by fatty plaques which stick in the arteries causing narrow pathways and prevent blood flow, and the oxygen within it, getting to the heart.

What happens if not enough blood flow which contains oxygen is supplied to the heart? The heart muscle struggles, it's not getting enough blood and oxgen.

Symptoms include chest and jaw pain, or pain in the left arm.

GTN spray is administered sublingually (under the tongue) and is quickly absorbed into the blood stream.

How were you diagnosed and what tests were done?

can you tell me if the spray helps or not?

I have a friend in Zimbabwe who went to the dr saying she has had pains in her chest , he told her she needed a spray and that was it but to me there has to be more to a diagnosis than this.

My dad had it, and he used a spray(under the tongue)to keep it at bay for years. It was terrible for me as a kid, I remember we'd be driving out to Castleton or somewhere for a day out and suddenly we'd have to stop somewhere and wait for his Angina attack to pass.

Back in 93/94 he had an operation where they but some "balloons" in his veins to keep them open so the blood flowed through better; but it didn't really do the trick because he still kept having Angina attacks for years afterwards, up until last year when the doctors found that these "balloons" were not suitable, or had not been put in properly, so they arranged another operation and fitted proper stents, which so far seem to have done the trick.

Archived