Are footballers role models?

Prompted by a facebook post referring to Rooney's foul mouthed rant.

A friend of mine said it was a disgrace, Rooney and other footballers are role models and when they swear or fail morally they should be made an example of....etc etc

Since when were uneducated chavs who are good at kicking a ball around role models?

MPs lie, steal, cheat and get caught having sex with tangerines but nobody bleats on about them being role models. Actors and TV presenters sniff coke, Frank Bough and Max Mosely were into S & M with prostitutes...nobody criticizes them for being bad role models...so why should footballers be different?

They don't pretend to be educated paragons of virtue, so why should they be castigated when they act to type?

Guest sibon

A friend of mine said it was a disgrace, Rooney and other footballers are role models and when they swear or fail morally they should be made an example of....etc etc

Since when were uneducated chavs who are good at kicking a ball around role models?

MPs lie, steal, cheat and get caught having sex with tangerines but nobody bleats on about them being role models. Actors and TV presenters sniff coke, Frank Bough and Max Mosely were into S & M with prostitutes...nobody criticizes them for being bad role models...so why should footballers be different?

They don't pretend to be educated paragons of virtue, so why should they be castigated when they act to type?

Millions of kids copy them on parks all over the country, so yes, they are role models. Some of them are also very highly paid, prominent celebrities and that makes them role models too.

Having said that, I think that Rooney is being unfairly castigated in this case. He is guilty of a poor choice of words and of being passionate about his job. He should have been invited to make a charitable donation and told to watch his language a bit.

The passion to succeed was excellent though... the stuff of a true role model.

If football wasn't so big they'd be dole models!:roll:

footballers get paid to much and it goes to their head,rooney clearly is up his own bottom..and he thinks he can say what he likes.a lot of young uns aspire to him there is no doubt.so he should learn to curb his mouth and remember its the fans that pay his wages.:)

I wonder how many of us have never sworn a work?

Fair enough, he shouldn't have done it, but passions were running high and he did. The press seem to be making a big deal about it like they did with Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand.

I agree in a way as swearing is about 99.9% of the vocabulary used at our work! The major difference though is that we're just a bunch of folks tucked away from the public eye in our little office, where as Rooney is in the public eye, watched every week by thousands of kiddies who idolise the ugly brute - he should know better.

Archived