Are footballers role models?

Swearing (and much worse) is shown on tv every day.

Is it? I've never encountered it in a program that's supposed to be family friendly.

He shouldn't have sworn in front of the camera but he did, it's no big deal in the scale of things.

I don't think it's a massive deal, but to discard it as nothing at all seems daft. At what point does something become a big deal? What's to stop that happening next if there isn't some form of censure for this latest outburst?

I wonder if the media and press would have made such a fuss if one of the more saintly players had let a fuff slip out?

Undoubtedly.

If professional footballers were paid an average wage instead of the obscene amounts they currently earn AND were treated like ordinary employees in a large company, I'm sure Rooney would have thought twice about opening his big daft mouth for fear of losing his job.

If professional footballers were paid an average wage, Rooney would be in Italy or Spain, having moved abroad along with every footballer currently playing in the top three divisions of the English game.

Archived