Groanbox + Pete David & The Payroll Union@The Redhouse Thur 14th April 8pm

sneekypete

Groanbox + Pete David & The Payroll Union@The Redhouse, Thur 14th April, 8pm

It is my enormous pleasure to welcome back to Sheffield those great purveyors of twisted Americana, Groanbox. It's rare that they make it up to Sheffield - having previously played at The Rude Shipyard and The Shakespeare - so if you ain't seen them before, i'd encourage you mightily to get down to The Redhouse on April 14th. If you have had the pleasure of seeing the boys on those occasions, you'll remember what a great live show they put on.

They'll be promoting their most recent album, The Livingston Sessions, and furthermore, accordian player Michael will be continuing his epic project of playing a gig every day for a year. Quite a feat, I'm sure you'll agree.

To listen to their music, visit this page:

http://www.myspace.com/groanboxmusic

To have a more enjoyable experience of the band online, use their website:

http://groanbox.com/

Check out what the national press had to say about them:

"With touches of Africa, the Balkans and Siberia bleeding into their wayward Americana, and full-blooded singing that wouldn’t have disgraced Levon Helm in his pomp, these global good ol’ boys could be onto a winning formula." The Telegraph

"The North American world roots outfit formerly known as the Groanbox Boys may have expanded to a trio and shortened their name, but their approach is as adventurous as ever...This is Americana with a twist, from the clash of bluegrass banjo with moody, experimental accordion on Doing the Laundry, to the throat singing and folk systems music of Tuvan Voodoo, to the atmospheric, fife-backed blues of I Was Born or the stomping Oyster Lease. Groanbox are true originals." The Guardian

Groanbox will be supported by Pete David & The Payroll Union, who recently released their debut 6-track EP, Underfed & Underpaid.

The Redhouse, Solly St, 8pm, £5 otd

Archived