Nick Cleggs Lib Dems would benefit most from AV

It's not even a step in the right direction, it's a turn up a cul-de-sac.

Do you think there is a realistic prospect of going straight from FPTP to PR whilst Labour and the Conservative parties both benefit from FPTP so much?

But you can use AV to punish the lib dems (or other parties) much better than under FPTP. You can vote for the party you want to get your seat, and then give a vote to everyone other than the party(ies) you dislike, reducing their chances of getting a seat.

If it does anything AV should help put a stop to the "I can't vote for this minority party because they won't get in so I'll vote for Labour to stop the Tories getting in even though I hate them both" type votes.

Yes, we might end up with more coalition Governments "which nobody wants", but that, IMHO, is what we need. The current flip-flopping between two parties which spend their time in opposition either discussing how they wouldn't do what the current Government are doing, then getting elected and doing exactly that, or not talking about the grand plans they nearly got to implement last time while secretly planning to continue them (tories - increasing privatisation, labour - increasing imigration). If we had three or more parties having to work together to keep the country running this pantomime will have to stop (or at least be curtailed to things which don't affect us so much).

AV isn't the best system available by a long way, but it is better than FPTP, which has only one benefit - the ability to punish a party. And while we're all too busy punishing each other nobody wins.

so you reckon we should wait for a better solution ?

What is AV a solution to? I don't think it's a solution to anything, merely a sop to true electoral reform. A clumsly sleight of hand passing off a half-assed voting system as a genuine improvement in representational democracy.

and I am with you as well...

same here, the political priority is to panic the libdems and destabilize the government, political refoRm is all well and good , but protecting the NHS and having a country that educates its young is FAR more important.

VOTE NO - VOTE AGAINST CLEGG

same here, the political priority is to panic the libdems and destabilize the government, political refoRm is all well and good , but protecting the NHS and having a country that educates its young is FAR more important.

:hihi:

There is enough panic already don’t you think.

Thall du fu me Frank lad..................

It won’t make any difference if I vote or not, under first past the post my vote never counts for anything; under AV my vote will still not count. I haven’t decided if I’m going to vote but if I do I will probably just change AV to PR and vote for that. I know it won’t count but what difference will it make.

I can’t understand why we are paying for a referendum when we have all just filled a form in that could have asked us what electoral system we want.

I want a system were all members of society have some representation in Government, and the only fair system is PR. We shouldn’t need asking if we want a fair system it should just be changed so that it is fair.

Archived