Nick Cleggs Lib Dems would benefit most from AV

Why will you be supporting the no campaign?

Because AV is not something that I think will benefit the country as a whole (and will lead to many more "mish mash" governments which no-one is happy with).

to all those voting no just to brass off the lib dems

firstly, I fear you are condemning the rest of us to zero political reform for at least the foreseeable future as this is going to stall any progress on PR

so that's lord knows how many more years of unaccountable MP's ignoring the electorate and running the country for the interests of whichever big business group has the loudest lobbyists and biggest dinners because we told them we don't want political reform when we had the chance

and secondly, after the way a lot of people felt about the lib dem compromises and u-turns on policy to get the coalition in place, do you seriously think the lib dems stand any chance at the next election even if the AV vote is passed ?

if the opinions expressed on here are anything to go by they could be given a 20 seat head start and still come back with 10, so in my opinion AV won't make a ha'pennorth of difference to them come the election

but it will help to make it a fairer system

not liking the lib dems is not a good reason for saying no to AV

Because AV is not something that I think will benefit the country as a whole (and will lead to many more "mish mash" governments which no-one is happy with).
beyond the people who voted for the winners no one is really happy with the steamroller politics of party majority government either, and we've had a lot more of those to be dissatisfied with

Odd. I remember the Glib Dims trying to get disenfranchised Liebore voters to vote for them for the same reason (not liking Liebore).

The Glibdims are as hypocritical as Liebore/CONservatives et al.

Odd. I remember the Glib Dims trying to get disenfranchised Liebore voters to vote for them for the same reason (not liking Liebore).

The Glibdims are as hypocritical as Liebore/CONservatives et al.

I agree, which is why I want the system changed, politicians whatever the colour of their rosette have all the power and are largely unaccountable at the moment

I believe that voting to reform the system used to elect them, even if it's the AV system, will begin to move that power away from them and towards the electorate and start to make them more accountable

even if the change is very slight, it shows the system can be changed

at the very least it'll remind them that they are supposed to be working for us and not the other way round

To be fair the Lib Dems never wanted AV either.

AV is a poor compromise between electoral reform and the status quo.

You don't vote for electoral reform just for the sake of it, it might be hopeless.

AV will change nothing. It's not proportional representation.

To be fair the Lib Dems never wanted AV either.

AV is a poor compromise between electoral reform and the status quo.

You don't vote for electoral reform just for the sake of it, it might be hopeless.

AV will change nothing. It's not proportional representation.

no they didn't

and no it's not PR, but we aren't being offered PR

and my fear is that the same people who got PR taken off the table will use a "No" vote to stifle any further progress on political reform

ok it's only my fear, but these MP's were prepared to scupper a coalition and run a minority government with the risk of a new election rather than allow the electorate to be asked if they would prefer PR to FPTP

It's actually one of the most logical reasons for a NO vote. Deep down, Lib-Dems don't like AV. They know that it is no fairer and no more proportional than FPTP (under AV a party could have 49.9% of the votes and zero MPs ....).

So why are they campaigning for it? The only true reason is that it will give them more seats.

This referendum has nothing to do with fairness and reform, and everything to do with party political gain. Any other conclusion is based on either lack of information or self-delusion.

It's actually one of the most logical reasons for a NO vote. Deep down, Lib-Dems don't like AV. They know that it is no fairer and no more proportional than FPTP (under AV a party could have 49.9% of the votes and zero MPs ....).

So why are they campaigning for it? The only true reason is that it will give them more seats.

This referendum has nothing to do with fairness and reform, and everything to do with party political gain. Any other conclusion is based on either lack of information or self-delusion.

and saying no, which preserves the current two party system has nothing to do with party political gain for those two parties ?

and to reiterate my previous point, do you seriously think that even with AV that the lib dems have a snowballs chance of maintaining the seats they currently have come the next election ?

(under AV a party could have 49.9% of the votes and zero MPs ....)
which is exactly what can happen under FPTP, AV isn't that much of an improvement and it's certainly not PR but it's better than FPTP if only slightly

the only way to have politics without decisions made for party political gain is to get rid of the parties completely and have a parliament full of independent MP's and I can't see that happening anytime soon

but if you want to vote no to brass off the lib dems, that's fine by me, it's your decision I just disagree that it's a good reason to say no to AV

Archived